NIC connection issue during boot
Hello, I have some issue with one of the servers and found the following. I think that if I fix this issue, all other problems will go away. We have HP DL360 G6 server that has four NICs installed. Two of them have static IP addresses, connected to different Network and do not have Gateway assigned. One of the NICs is disabled and my main NIC has static IP address. This is the NIC that connects this server to our Network. When I restart the server, it is coming up and I can login (directly) on the server. I still cannot ping the server. After I login, I see that I do not have a network connection. I have a red X where the network icon is. If I go to see adapter setting, I see that none of the NIC has authenticated yet and no connections available. In about a minute or two, NICs start authentication and everything is connected after that. I tried to change NICs, cables, switches but nothing works. I used to have Teaming but I removed it and disabled the disconnected NIC. No change. Any ideas? Thank you.
January 25th, 2011 7:15pm

Hi, Thanks for posting here. What’s the OS running on this server? You mentioned that NIC started authentication , is that mean that you have deployed connection authentication in your environment ? like 802.1X ? What if disable all NICs but this main NIC, would this issue persist ? Is there any related information recorded in event log ? Meanwhile, this issue could also be caused by some third party software .To isolate the issue from any third party software, you may consider booting the server into a Clean Boot environment to see whether it works: 1. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Open box, and then click OK. 2. In the Startup tab, click the "Disable All" button. 3. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox, and then click the "Disable All" button. 4. Click OK and restart your computer. If the issue disappear with clean boot, it indicates that some software delay the connection startup. If the issue persists, please check how it works if you disable the Media Sensing feature on this server. How to disable the Media Sensing feature for TCP/IP in Windows http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239924/ Thanks. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 26th, 2011 5:18am

Thank you for your reply. This is Windows 2008 R2 server. There is nothing in event log about this. I tried to remove all services in msconfig but it does the same. I cannot disable all cards because those cards are connected to SAN and map drives D and E on the server. Also, about NIC is doing authentication, I do not have anything setup for authentication. It is just when NICs start I see message authenticating to the network. Not sure why. When server comes up, for some time every NIC has message that says Enabled. I mean all by that one that is disabled. In a couple of minutes, status chages and shows me that it is trying to authenticate. After that, in status I see the domain name. I checked bindings and everything looks OK there too. Thank you.
January 26th, 2011 10:03pm

Hi Igor i'm just throwin spaghetti against the wall here but something might stick hehe :) your NICs show "trying to authenticate" i am leanin a bit towards Tiger it does seem like you have 802.1x configured for your network also since it shows the domain name it almost certainly points to 802.1x please verify and your NICs have different static IP Addresses, r u usin vlans in your network? i ask this because if you have vlans and the server NIC's are connected to the wrong access ports on you switch it could create a problem like the one you mentioned.. and please check on your switch if portfast is enabled on the ports were the NICs connect to.. enabling portfast will allow the port to start fowarding as soon as the port becomes physically active, without portfast each port must wait MaxAge plus twice Forwarding Delay, which is 50 seconds i think or more with the default MaxAge and Forward Delay settings this will cause your NIC to register as connected after a bit of a delay.. but enough to raise concern. Please check and post a reply if anything stuck.. or didnt :) tech-niquetech-nique
January 27th, 2011 12:11am

Thank you for your reply. I am pretty sure that we do not use 801.x authentication. Not sure how to verify because I have never set it up. We use only one vlan. I am sure that NIC have different IP addresses. Portfast is enabled on the port of the Cisco switch. Any other suggestions? Thank you.
January 27th, 2011 3:02am

Ok, it was easier than I thought. I unchecked Enable 801.2x Authentication on every enabled NIC but it did not help. Any other ideas? I really appreciate your helping me. Thank you.
January 27th, 2011 3:36am

Hi, Thanks for update. I just want confirm that even after you uncheck the enable IEEE 802.1x authentication option , does system still show “Red X” and display the authentication massager when reboot the server? If yes, could you please take a screen shot with the authentication message and upload to the link below so that we can have a better understanding to the issue. It still looks to be 802.1X related. https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=77406ccc-977f-40fc-a08a-77900c3de24b Password: 1ceI[^#)JIqd9 Meanwhile, please also try disabling “Wired AutoConfig” service and reboot server to see whether the network connection can be established and whether this issue still exists. If the network connection could not be established, the network should have been configured to enforce 802.1X. Thanks. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
January 27th, 2011 12:46pm

Hi, If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know. We are looking forward to your reply. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
January 28th, 2011 11:51am

Sorry I was not able to reboot server. I uploaded two word documents. One shows what is happening when I have 802.1x checked and another one shows when it is unchecked. There is a little difference. Also, I noticed that I have some 5719 - Netlogon errors. I tried the following fixes but nothing worked: 326152 Cannot connect to domain controller and cannot apply Group Policy with Gigabit Ethernet devices <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;326152> How to disable Media Sensing for TCP/IP in Windows <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239924> 202840 A Client Connected to an Ethernet Switch May Receive Several Logon-Related Error Messages During Startup http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;202840 Not sure what else could I do. Thank you.
January 30th, 2011 9:24am

Hi, Thanks for upload. According the screenshots we can verify that system doesn’t attempt to authenticate but identify network connection and connection was successfully established finally. So it’s seems that we may get back to start . You mentioned that this server can’t be connected even wait for a few minutes after OS start completed, only if user logon then NIC will be appeared and connection will running correctly, is that correct ? If in this case , could you verify the startup type setting of the services below and make sure there are all be set to “automatic” and verify the account that be used to launch service in “Log On” tab of service properties. Network Connections Network list service Network location Awareness Meanwhile, please disabling firewall on server with following the steps in the link below: I Need to Disable Windows Firewall http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766337(WS.10).aspx Thanks. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
January 31st, 2011 9:08am

Hello, Thank you for your reply. I checked and all services are running but Network Connections and Network List Services are set as manual. Both of those services Log On As setup to Local System. Network Location Awareness is setup as Automatic and Log On As is setup as Network Service. Just to try it, I switched all those services to Automatic and restarted the server. It did not help. I checked other Windows 2008 R2 servers and they have exactly the same setup. Also, using Group Policy our firewall is disabled when there is a Domain Profile Active. When I am checking Firewall properties, I can see that is says that Domain Profile is Active and Windows Firewall is off. Any other ideas? Thank you.
January 31st, 2011 6:19pm

Hello, Thank you for update. I am currently looking into this issue and will give you an update as soon as possible. Thank you for your understanding and support. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
February 1st, 2011 2:05pm

Deleted. My mistake.
February 2nd, 2011 5:39pm

Forget about vssadmin errors. It was my mistake. SAN did not have any space assigned for the snapshot. Fixed. But everything else is the problem. Any ideas? Thank you.
February 3rd, 2011 9:19pm

Hi Igor jsut had a random thought.. i was having an almost similar issue with Windows 7.. untill i ran windows update. Please run windows update and make sure that your computer is up to date including the drivers for the NIC make sure they are also up to date.. (i know once we start talking about updates it seems like we've hit rock bottom interms of ideas... but you never know.. could work hehe :] ) tech-nique
February 4th, 2011 10:32pm

Thank you for your suggestion. This is HP server and I worked with HP support trying to fix this issue. I know for a fact that everything is up to day. Thank you.
February 5th, 2011 1:42am

Hi Igor, Thanks for update. So everything is working well right now? Could you share the solution with us so that other people will also benefit from it. Thanks. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
February 15th, 2011 5:01am

Sorry if I made you think that everything is fixed. No, I still have the same issue. I said that I found what the problem was with that vssadmin issue but I still have the same boot problem. Any ideas how to fix it? Thank you.
February 15th, 2011 5:12pm

Further data may be required to troubleshoot this issue. Collect ETL logs for using Netsh tracing with the following command: Netsh trace start scenario=NetConnection Capture=yes Report=yes Persistent=yes In this case it will be necessary for you to open a support incident with Microsoft support either through your TAM if you are a premier customer or through our support channels here - http://support.microsoft.com/
February 17th, 2011 3:47am

Hello, I have call opened with Microsoft. For two months it was email support only. Yesterday I called and now I have phone support. Nothing yet. Found another interesting problem. My NICs do not initialise and this cause the problem. I run a few tests and this is the output that I have: Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600] Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Users\user>ipconfig /all Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MyServer Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : OurDomain.local Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : OurDomain.local Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes C:\Users\user>ping localhost Pinging MyServer.OurDomain.local [::1] with 32 bytes of data: Reply from ::1: time<1ms Reply from ::1: time<1ms Reply from ::1: time<1ms Reply from ::1: time<1ms Ping statistics for ::1: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms C:\Users\user>ping 10.0.0.31 Pinging 10.0.0.31 with 32 bytes of data: PING: transmit failed. General failure. PING: transmit failed. General failure. PING: transmit failed. General failure. PING: transmit failed. General failure. Ping statistics for 10.0.0.31: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss), C:\Users\user> In about a minute, everything is OK. Isn't it strange? Thank you.
February 17th, 2011 11:36pm

Hi Igor Following this thread i have become more and more convinced that this is a problem with your switch or switchport.. i could be wrong but i wouldnt mind ruling out the switch so that i stop losing sleep over this :( anyway... you have a Cisco switch right?? when you boot up your machine what color is on the led that corresponds to the port the server is connected to during the time your machine boots up to the time you are finally connected?? Is it Orange or Green or the led is completely off and then comes on?? Hope you can do this small test and inform me the color the port led is .. :)tech-nique
February 18th, 2011 12:25am

I have green light all the time. For a second or less it goes dark right before Windows starts but very short period of time. Thank you.
February 18th, 2011 1:39am

Hello Igor, have you already solved this issue? I have exactly the same problem and honestly I used up all my ideas how to fix it. Many thanks for your answer.
June 21st, 2011 9:42am

SP1 for Windows 2008 R2 fixed it for me. Nothing else worked. I spent months with Microsoft Support. Thank you.
June 21st, 2011 4:05pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics