NIC IP repopulate DNS after being deleted
I'm looking for a little help. I have a 2008 DC with 3 active NICs plugged into 3 different switches. One goes into a LAN switch; the other two go into two redundant iSCSI SAN switches. All three of the IP addresses have 'A' records being regenerated in this servers DNS. The only properties on the NICs properties that are enabled are IPv4 and the BroadCom driver controls. Does anyone have any insight as to how to prevent the IP address from repopulating in its DNS? BTW I have already cleared the check box 'register this connections setting in DNS'. Thanks
July 22nd, 2010 5:14pm

Hi, Thanks for the post. When DNS causes an interface to listen for DNS queries, the interface tries to register the host A record in the zone that matches its primary DNS suffix. The interface tries to register the host A record regardless of the settings that have been configured in the TCP/IP properties. This behavior is by design and can take place under the following circumstances: The DNS service is installed on the server whose configuration you are trying to change. The DNS zone that matches the primary DNS suffix of the server is enabled to update dynamically. For more information, please take a look at the following article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/275554 Note: Based on my test, this behavior is also available on Windows Server 2008. Hope this helps. MilesPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 23rd, 2010 12:45pm

Yep. That does the trick. The link you provided has a link to a solution for DNS on RRAS that works for Domain Controllers as well. Jesse
July 23rd, 2010 5:57pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics