NEED URGENT HELP with DEVICE CALS on 2003 SERVER R2
Hi i need help with this... Im installing a brand new SERVER with 2003 SERVER R2 STANDARD with SP2 using VOLUME LICENCE. We bought 10 DEVICE CALS to connect the 10 WIN XP clients on the LAN (domain) The question is... when i was installing the server (at installation process) its asked me about CALS per SERVER or DEVICE/USER On SERVER CALS option it asked me on how many CALS i want to active, but we have DEVICE CALS (not SERVER) Cause the CALS we bought are DEVICE CALS, i chose the DEVICE/USER option, but in that option it dont allow me to set how many CALS is have. How i must do to configure the 10 DEVICE CALS we bought? Or i dont need to set that number? Can anyone give me some light at this point? I must clarify that i dont talking about TS CALS (the CALS that we bought are NORMAL DEVICE CALS, just lo log on the DOMAIN) Thx in advance.
November 24th, 2011 2:41am

Hi, yes this is very confusing at the beginning :) So, when you choose during installation Per Seat (user or device) licensing mode, you have to only store your invoice for purchased CALs. That's all :) When you select Per Server licensing during installation, then you need to specify how many CALs do you have. When max concurrent limit would be reached, the next client won't be able to connect to server. In case you chose User/Device licensing mode, you don't have to do anything more :) Just only store the invoice for purchased CALs to prove during audit that you have appropriate amount of them. However, if you still want to have licensing enabled (just only for your purpose) you can follow these steps: 1) Open AD Sites and Services console from Administrative Tools 2) Go to Site in which you want to specify Licensing server and select it 3) In the right pane, you will see "Licensing" option 4) Edit it and point which server will be Licensing Server in that Site Now, you have CALs usage logged 5) Log on to any server fro which you want to view CALs usage 6) Open services.msc console and enable "License Logging" service to start automaticaly 7) Open on that Server "Licensing" console from Administrative Tools Now, you can see how many CALs are used and by whom I know that's not part of your question, but you may be interested in reading similar post I answered here about CALs at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverDS/thread/d2dd276a-8bb8-4ee2-aec9-5cd9a17b0941/#6d8fd5fa-d0cb-48c1-898a-1d490ac40fce Regards, Krzysztof ---- Visit my blog at http://kpytko.wordpress.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 24th, 2011 2:58am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics