NAT server out of service - persisting problem in Windows 2000 Server
The network at the school I work for has a Windows 2000 Server and Linux Server, the latter of which has two NIC cards as the public and privtate interfaces and only displays Login: in Comman Prompt mode. Because no one knows the logon details for the Linux Server and it has been playing up, I worked hard to configure NAT on the Windows server to directly provide Internet connection to the rest of the network without the involving the Linux. The result is that client PCs can only ping to the private interface, not the public interface, therefore cannot send ICMP message through to the ADSL modem/router: none of the PCs could connect to the Internet. The private interface of the server was directly connected to the switch to which all other workstations were connected to where as the public interface was patched into the only ADSL modem/router. I would like advice on NAT configuration. What I did was to install NAT by selecting New Routing Protocols in the pop-up menu and to select Ethernet Network Card 2 to act as the private interface and Ethernet Network Card 3 as the public interface. I disabled and enabled RRAS service too with no luck. I am looking forwad to hearing any advice. Thank you
May 5th, 2010 8:54am

There isn't really much detail here of the network config. You can sertainly use a Windows server as a NAT router if you configure it correctly. Exactly what sort of ADSL modem/ router do you have? Doesn't it do NAT already? Why do you feel that you need another NAT router? Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 5th, 2010 10:57am

The Windows 2000 server has the following configuration with the default gateway address being the private interface of the Linux server: IP Address: 192.168.16.184 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway Address: 192.168.16.1 Because the ADSL router's address is 192.168.1.1 using a different network ID, I thought the Linux must be acting as a NAT router. It would be helpful if you would tell me what sort of information from the ADSL modem/router I should put up here. Cheers
May 5th, 2010 10:55pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics