My domain controller hard drive recently growing space automatically
My domain controller hard drive recently growing space automatically i didn't install anything nor store any files into my doamin controller it just keep occupying more hard drive space automatically.Why?
July 1st, 2012 12:22am

Hi, Please avoid duplicate threads. Thanks,Mohammed Imtiyaz Ali
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 1st, 2012 1:48am

Hi, Check with hidden files or System Information restore or automatic updates enables. ThanksMohammed Imtiyaz Ali
July 1st, 2012 1:54am

Hello, a DC has its own database containing the domain information, so if you make a lot of changes the database growth of course. About what amount of size are you talking in detail? Also proivde the used OS version and SP/patch level.Best regards Meinolf Weber MVP, MCP, MCTS Microsoft MVP - Directory Services My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/ Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
July 1st, 2012 5:56am

Hi i have checked my domain controller database in the NTDS folder didn't growth at all. Here the file size inside the NTDS folder. Edd.edd = 10MB; Edd.chk = 10MB; NTDS = 12MB; all other file are 10MB too. etc..
July 1st, 2012 10:39pm

Why do i need to Check with hidden files ?
July 1st, 2012 10:39pm

Use a freeware like windirstat and check wehre you loosing the space. Might be a wsus db, a third part av db, etc..MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring
July 2nd, 2012 12:12am

Hello, Check for any updates are installed also use CCleaner like tool to wipe out free space.I hope it will help
July 2nd, 2012 2:20am

There not enough space for the freeware like windirstat to install. The hard drive some how feed-up all space.
July 2nd, 2012 2:39pm

I disconnected from the internet and still the disk space is growing.
July 2nd, 2012 2:40pm

Then analyse the directory space via admin share (ex; \\server\c$) You need to spot what use the space. A badly configured av console, wsus db, etc... can be anythingMCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring
July 3rd, 2012 10:52pm

By using \\192.168.0.145\c$ on my windows xp to logon to my server c drives, but after that can i use some command in command promt to check which file occupied all my hard drive space?
July 4th, 2012 3:55pm

Without the OS and Service PAck details, it's hard to predict things. Again, which is the OS running on your server ? what is the size of C drive ? How much space is remaining ? If the OS is 2008/R2, check winsxs folder, that might might be growing in size.Press any key... What the ... Where's any key ? This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. About Me ?
July 4th, 2012 4:06pm

I am running windows server 2003 server R2 c:\ drive 195kb.
July 5th, 2012 10:31pm

The very first place to check would be the paging file. Check how much virtual memory have you assigned to the server. For examaple if you have a 16 gb of Ram your paging file could be anywhere between 24 gb and 48 gb. If you have patched your server you could have a lot of wasted space here that could be recovered if you want to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
July 6th, 2012 12:55am

The very first place to check would be the paging file. Check how much virtual memory have you assigned to the server. >For examaple if you have a 16 gb of Ram your paging file could be anywhere between 24 gb and 48 gb. >If you have patched your server you could have a lot of wasted space here that could be recovered if you want to >C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download I have set virtual memory Initial Size ( MB ) to: 576 MB Maximum size ( MB ) to: 1152 MB What's patched server ? Do you mean i should delete all the subfolder from the Download root folder? C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
July 6th, 2012 11:49am

Hello Stuckfree, I suggest you check my solution in below thread to free up C drive disk space. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverfiles/thread/4e56f1bb-3592-42ee-bf03-8dbcf662f025 Other Recommendations I can give you is that 15GB is recommendable C drive disk space.Configure SQL in such away that to store its logs and DB files in non-system disks (i.e other than C drive)keep less amount of page file in System drive(for recording kernel dump) and rest of page file keep in non-system drives.If winsxs folder's used space is more, I suggest you read this thread:http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/faea493f-27bc-44b3-8b64-074809e2d1c8/ Thank you and feel free to write here again if you need any other info? Regards, Ravikumar P
July 6th, 2012 12:00pm

Do you mean i should delete all the subfolder from the Download root folder? C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download Yes, you can stop windows update service and delete the entire "SoftwareDistribution" folder. After you delete the folder just start the Windows Updates service again and it will recreate all folders again.
July 6th, 2012 12:06pm

Other Recommendations I can give you is that > 15GB is recommendable C drive disk space. Configure SQL in such away that to store its logs and DB files in non-system disks (i.e other than C drive) keep less amount of page file in System drive(for recording kernel dump) and rest of page file keep in non-system drives. If >winsxs folder's used space is more, I suggest you read this thread:http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/faea493f-27bc-44b3-8b64-074809e2d1c8/ I have set virtual memory Initial Size ( MB ) to: 576 MB Maximum size ( MB ) to: 1152 MB What is winsxs folder's ? What happenned if i delete the winsxs folder's ? How do i record kernel dump?
July 6th, 2012 11:29pm

Thanks for your respond. I checked this C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download all the file size together is using up to 2Mb only. But anyway i'm gonna delete it to see what will happenned. I think you made a mistake with the service name is called : automatic updates service is not windows update service.
July 6th, 2012 11:50pm

Hello, If you want to free up disk space please have a look in my previous post. In a DC/server we have to work with many folders to clear unneeded data from C:\Regards, Ravikumar P
July 6th, 2012 11:55pm

Thanks for you help. But in my server i don't have SQL server install and also i had read about winsxs folder's the link that you provided i can't delete the winsxs folder's is very importan. But Brano Lukic has the right answer in my case is the SoftwareDistribution folder that is growing space. I delete the folder now my server has the same space as before. Any way i appreciate your help man. Brano Lukic Acrodex Partner 3,365 Points1020 Recent Achievements First Helpful VoteForums Answerer IIIForums Replies III Brano Lukic's threadsView Profile
July 7th, 2012 12:55am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics