My Lab Test - DFS namespace accessing problem from Backup DC

Hi..

this are all in virtual setup for test and learning. I setup 2 win server 2008 and 1 win xp as client .

Server 1 name - Mars: installed Active directory (first domain), domain name universe.com. Installed dfs and configured namespace and added folder target. Every thing works from client as expected.

Installed server 2 name - Moon as backup domain controller. Active directory users and computers everything synced good.

In Mars added another target and setup replication. as shown in image.(couldnt get original but this is how it looks)

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732863%28v=ws.10%29  .first image.

I also did "add name server"--> Moon ---from Mars

Every thing works fine as expected but when i disconnect the network cable of my Mars then i cannot view namespace in Moon, although client pc can browse DFS.

My Shared folders became fault tolerant OK, but i cannot manage my namespace from my second server, why is that.

Regards.

February 20th, 2015 2:12pm

Hello Mohammad,

I had the same issue and this two links were very helpful:

DFS: Properties cannot be set on the namespace server Access is denied

&

How a DFS Namespace change ruined my morning

Hope you find it usefull!

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 20th, 2015 4:04pm

Hi.. Thanks for the link, my issue is I cannot modifying namespace from my second server, other this are fine.
February 20th, 2015 5:49pm

Hi,

To me it sounds like the issue in following article:

The DFS Namespace service becomes inaccessible if the domain controller is down on a Windows Server-based computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2285823

This issue is caused by the DFS Namespace service. Itincorrectly contacts the domain controller that plays the ISTG role to obtain the topology data directly. The topology data contains the information for different destination file servers and the requesting clients. If the domain controller is not available, the DFS namespace service fails. Therefore, this issue occurs.In fact, the DFS Namespace services can obtain this information from any domain controller in the domain.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 23rd, 2015 4:35am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics