MySQL Powerpivot Import Fail

I am importing data from a MySQL database. I have all of the relevant drivers. When I try to import to powerpivot I get the following errors:

when "select from a list of tables:

"Failed to retrieve data from companies. Reason: ERROR [42000] [MySQL][ODBC 5.1 Driver][mysqld-5.1.58]You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '[companies].*

FROM [companies]' at line 1"

when i "write a query" that has been validated i receive:

The following system error occurred:  Catastrophic failure A connection could not be made to the data source with the DataSourceID of 'dc746dc9-4aaa-4e03-b938-f84a128f5671', Name of 'Custom'. An error occurred while processing the 'Query' table. The operation has been cancelled.

however, i am able to import just fine into excel.

how do i fix the powerpivot import?

November 16th, 2011 6:30am

Hi Imjss,

It seem this is a know issue, you can refer to this issue at the connect site to get some reference from the advise of communities and micrsoft http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/570715/import-wizard-error-via-excel2010-powerpivot-to-oledb-odbc 

Thanks,
Challen Fu

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 18th, 2011 12:57pm

unfortunately thats not tremendously helpful.
November 28th, 2011 6:49pm

Hi imjss,

Sorry to mark it for waiting a long time unresponsiveness, to isolate the issue to see whether it is relevant to your driver, can you check to see if you can import the data into Excel workbook correctly?

You can also refer to this link about how to add an ODBC data source for MySQL database to check you installed the driver correctly http://www.heritage-tech.net/267/interfacing-with-mysql-via-excel/ 

Thanks,
Challen Fu

November 29th, 2011 12:47pm

I am able to import data into excel via ODBC from MySQL. It only fails when I try and connect via ODBC from powerpivot. 
November 29th, 2011 6:31pm

Hi Imjss,

Can you import the data into PowerPivot workbook correctly from other kind of datasource? do you have the same error message when you import data from My SQL database for another PowerPivot workbook?

November 30th, 2011 12:58pm

I can import data from other datasources. 

I can not import MySQL to powerpivot from any workbook.

November 30th, 2011 6:30pm

Hi

I have the same problem. I can import from MySQL to other programs, but the import to PiwerPivot fails.

Does anybody have a solution to this?

BR Henrik

December 16th, 2011 1:56pm

U need to write your own querys and not click the tables u get.

AFAIK MySQL doesnt support "[]" around table names so u get an error. (see the first post "[companies].*")

Just choose "Write a query that will specify the data to import" and write ur query like SELECT * FROM tableName;

Well that solved my problem at least :)

Edit1: I guess i should add that i didnt choose "Initial catalog" and i wrote it in the query instead.

January 23rd, 2012 10:42pm

I'm experiencing the same issues described in this thread.

Has someone found a solution or workaroung?

Thanks

May 2nd, 2013 5:59pm

I too am having this problem.  I've googled the heck out of this ... tried multiple versions of the mysql odbc connector etc and still am not successful.  I've finally been able to go get a query to at least "start" running, but get a "catastrophic failure" error like the above.  

Microsoft -- pleeeez help :D  I ve used PP extensively with other data sources, and am really frustrated with this glitch.

July 2nd, 2013 4:13pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics