Multithread Single File Copy Process?
I have a 500GB VHD file I need to move from one SAN location (in Edmonds) to another location in Seattle. I have a redundant 1gb pipe with one of the links dedicated to this migration. I've explored Robocopy, and RichCopy. None of them seem to be able to do the job. I want to copy a 500GB VHD file using 8 threads. Does such a tool exist? I have one solution and that is splitting the 500GB into chunks using WinRar or WinZip and using that as my multithread piece. But I have around 100 VMs I need to move using this method, it would be awesome if I could find a tool that allowed a single file multithread copy process. Thanks
August 9th, 2011 9:11pm

Hi, If the link is 1Gb, then the maximum speed between the two city is 1Gb, that’s 128MB/s. Then I would like to know the speed when you use Robocopy and RichCopy. By the way, FTP support multiple threads, you may try to set up a FTP server in Edmonds, then you can download the VHD files in Seattle. In addition, you mentioned there are around 100 VMs, if each VM has a 500GB’s VHD, you may try to copy the VHDs to a HDD and then send it to Seattle, as the distance between them is around 23 kilometers. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 10th, 2011 6:06am

FTP is actually a good idea. The external drive piece isn't an option in this case. I assume they don't make a tool as I was asking aside from ftp? thanks for the response! Edit: What FTP tool allows multiple thread downloads on a single file from ONE ftp source?
August 11th, 2011 12:04pm

Hi, Please try FileZilla. By the way, you can perform the further research in some FTP related forum. Thanks for your understanding. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 12th, 2011 4:03am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics