Multipoint 2012 upgrade to r2?
Has anyone heard if there is an upgrade path for Multipoint 2012 to get the Server 2012 r2 enhancements?
November 21st, 2013 8:48pm

Hi Roger,

Multipoint 2012 is built as a separate operating system from Server 2012 R2, so there isn't an upgrade in that sense. There are, however, two rollup updates available for WMS 2012.

UR1:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36781

UR2:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2864239

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 10th, 2013 4:56pm

The link to the UR2 doesn't seem to work.
December 10th, 2013 5:02pm

It will be available for download sometime this afternoon, just may take a couple of hours to be made completely available.
December 10th, 2013 5:29pm

Is the update available for download at this point in time.

My window update has not found anything.

Thanks for your help,

F. DeWit

December 23rd, 2013 3:57pm

Hi Frederick,

The Rollup Update 2 should be appearing in Windows Update on WMS as a Windows Server update. Is your server set to automatically check for and download updates? Some settings might require going into Windows Update and checking online there if there is a setting that requires system administrators to manage updates.

January 2nd, 2014 5:12pm

Sorry, my server will not connect to windows update, so I am unable to download the Rollup. 
January 3rd, 2014 12:45pm

Got it. Firewall problem.

Thanks for your help.

Fred

January 3rd, 2014 1:48pm

Hi Livi

Does the UR2 solve the problem with UEFI systems?

January 7th, 2014 8:17pm

Greetings, Livi,

My Windows Update appears to be working fine, but it still does not find the UR2 update, either under Important or Optional.  Any suggestions?  Might there be a direct link to download it somewhere?  I've searched to no avail.

As I think you know, the link to UR2 just takes me to the article for it, which in turns directs me to use Windows Update.

Thank you!  Kevin Jones

January 9th, 2014 6:51pm

We have over 1500 stations deployed under MultiPoint 2011 and are now looking to deploy MultiPoint 2012.  I am beginning to customize the Start Screen and fine that things which are seen in Windows 2012 R2 are not in MultiPoint 2012, ie. named groups...

Based on when MultiPoint 2012 was released, its core appears to be Windows 2012 not 2012 R2.  

Am I missing something?

May 2nd, 2014 2:45pm

We have over 3,000 stations with WMS 2012 and we skipped the metro screen altogether by using ClassicShell.net. That program allows you to boot right into the Desktop and hide the hidden corners to give it a Windows 7 feel. It works great for us and I didn't have to retrain our teachers/students.
May 19th, 2014 2:01am

We have now started to do the same and things are going very well. Thank you.
June 19th, 2014 11:01pm

Has there been any progress on an r2 upgrade for Multipoint? It's getting very frustrating not having the interface improvements made in r2/8.1 and not having access to GPO to manage the start screen.
August 8th, 2014 6:44pm

The 9841 Build of Windows Server will be adding the additional MultiPointServer WindowsFeature package as a optional feature installation. Not to sure as to what Server Installations this will be available for, I assume that MultiPoint will most likely be supported with the Datacenter.

Link to Preview Download: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-vnext-technical-preview

Snippet with MultiPoint feature installed + optional start menu instead of start screen.

Windows MultiPoint Feature + Additional Choice of Start Menu or Start Screen

• Proposed as answer by julowsky Thursday, October 02, 2014 9:22 PM
  • Edited by julowsky Thursday, October 02, 2014 9:29 PM Context Correction
October 2nd, 2014 9:21pm

Hi

I need to get Rollup Update 2 (and any others since then if possible) as a download (not from Windows Update).

I installed a system in a school in Africa without internet and I'm going there again in 4 days time - I would like to take the update on a portable drive and install it when I'm there.

They have a number of issues with zero clients that this update would solve.

November 9th, 2014 7:44pm

If you did not solve this issue, Microsoft publishes complete Image files of all updates for a given period of time.

They are available in .iso format and available at http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

March 13th, 2015 7:07pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics