Multiple gatway configuration in Server 2008 not working?
Using two NIC's, one for external access, one for internal TFTP server. When I set a gateway IP addy on the second nic/TFTP side, I loose internet connectivity on the defauly external access nic? Both are staticly configured IP addresses, but using different network segments. We have been using this same setup on Win2k3 servers without any problems, but having this problem once we switched to Win2k8? What is causing this? And how do I make it stop??? Thanks in advance, TAndrist
April 24th, 2008 5:59pm

It shouldn't work in W2003 either! Setting a dg on the internal interface usually stops all traffic going out the public interface. You can have only one default gateway per machine, not one per inerface. Why do you feel that you need a dg on the internal inerface? What doesn't work without it?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 25th, 2008 3:41am

We use the other gateway for our IP phones/TFTP connection on a completly different network segment. Honestly we have been using this setup for three yaers on our W2K3 servers without problem. I just reconfigured another 2k3 server, set itup the same way we had it on the old server and it took off without incident.This problem only came about when we tried doing this same config on the 2K8 server. I have IPV6 disabled, not active, just using IPV4, other than that, the configurations are the exact same on the 2k8 server as the 2k3 servers, would this cause issue? I must be missing something? Thanks, Tandrist
April 29th, 2008 6:38pm

No you are not missing anything. That is how it is supposed to work. If you want some particular traffic to use another gateway, add a static route to the server. That is how IP routing works. You use a default route for general traffic and a specific route for specific subnets.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 30th, 2008 5:14am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics