Multiple SLO's

I am trying to find out how to get 2 different SLO's to send out different notifications.

The only way I can get them to send based on "Warning" and "Breached" status, is to use the "Service Level Instance Time Information" target class, but I don't know how to further the difference between multiple SLO's.

For example, I have "resolution time" SLO and just created a "first response" SLO.

Whenever the first response SLO kicks off a warning, the resolution and first response email subscriptions are triggered. Any ideas on how I can separarte them?

Thanks,

March 30th, 2015 6:32pm

In short, Only create 2 E-Mail templates. One for Warning and one for Breech. Then use the details to make the template more specific.

In Long;

First off you need to create the SLO's for the targets you want.

SLO's are made up of:

1. A Metric
  2. A Queue
  3. An SLO

Create a Metric for your Incidents that you want to trigger on.
For Example:

• Title: Incident Resolution Time
  • Class: Incident
  • Start Date: Created Date
  • End Date: Resolved Date

Next Create the Queue:
For Example:

• Title: Incident Priority 1
  • Criteria: Trouble Ticket Priority Equals 1 AND Status Equals Active

Finally create the SLO:
For Example:

• Title: Incident Resolution Time - Priority 1
  • Description: Please resolve this Incident before the Target End Date or escalate to higher support.
  • Queues: Incident Priority 1
  • Service Level Criteria: 
  •     Calendar: Normal Support Hours
  •     Metric: Incident Resolution Time
  •     Target: 10 Hours
  •     Warning: 5 Hours

Next, you will need to create the notification template you want to send out. In this case you will need 2:

1. SLO Warning
  2. SLO Breeched

Both of these templates will have to use the "Service Level Instance Time Information" target class how ever you have to make them generic as the type of Warning or breech that is happening.

For Example - The Warning template might be:

Greetings <AnalystFirstName>, <IR###> has reached a warning state for Incident Resolution Time - Priority 1. This work item will breech this SLO on <TargetEndDate> <SLODescription>

Thanks,
Service Desk

This way whenever the SLO status changes to warning it will show the specifics of the Incident and the specifics of the SLO.

From the input described above the actual e-mail sent for an Incident would look like:

Greetings Brett,

IR1234 has reached a warning state for Incident .
    This work item will breech this SLO on 31/03/2015 14:00
    Please resolve this Incident before the Target End Date or escalate to higher support.

Thanks, 
Service Desk

For the response SLO you may have a description like: "Please respond to the affected user and enter a comment in to the Incident that is marked as "First Response" before the target end date"

I hope this covers everything you need.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 31st, 2015 1:19am

I follow what you are saying there. I have the 2 different SLO's setup and they run properly on their own metrics. I created a test incident to make sure both SLO's were applied and they are. The only problem that remains is in separating the email notification.

I have 4 email templates:

1 for target resolution warning, and 1 for target resolution breach

1 for first response warning, and 1 for first response breach

I then have 4 different subscriptions, one for each of these templates. The problem is, when the first SLO reaches a warning state, it sends out both notifications, but I look at the SLO in the IR and only one of them is actually in a warning state. Does that make sense? Both SLO's I have created are working properly within the IR's. The notifications are what I am having trouble with.

I am using "Service Level Time Information" as the target class for the subscriptions as that is the only way I know how to tell it to watch for the calendar items.

March 31st, 2015 11:33am

Can you post the criteria for each of the 4 subscriptions?  We might be able to spot what's causing the other workflows to trigger.
March 31st, 2015 1:03pm

Apologies, but I do not know the best way to post this.

All 4 subscriptions are set to trigger on update.

All 4 have the following criteria: Change from - SLO Status does not equal - Warning

Change to - SLO status equals - Warning

The same pattern for breach.

In other subscriptions, I have been able to use a constant to determine something else, for example on an activity subscription, I have post-mortem review and default review templates. To get one review to notify it's reviewers and not the other, I add a constant such as the title.

Example: Change from - status - pending, and title contains - Approve

Change to - status - in progress, and title contains - Approve

This prevents allows me to split the notifications and send a different email template. But with the SLO's, I am not seeing a way I can differentiate the two. When I get both emails, they are using the 2 different subscriptions, but they shouldn't both be sending at the same time.

March 31st, 2015 1:38pm

If all the subscriptions have the same trigger, then they will all fire at the same time.  The thing about SLAs is that Microsoft didn't add in the ability to restrict it to a specific queue, at least no way that I have found, this prevents us admins from associating it something specific so each SLA notification workflow is tested against all active SLOs.
March 31st, 2015 3:44pm

Open your SLO definition. Put some unique text into the description box. Copy that text. Open your subscription. Switch to the "Changed To" tab. Under "Related Classes", click the little arrow (you may have to scroll the box to the left to see the little arrow). You'll see "Service Level Configuration". Select that and add the "Description" property. Paste your description text into the criteria.

So now your criteria will look like:

Changed From: Status does not equal Warning
Changed To: Status equals Warning AND Description equals "my unique text".

The description text has to be unique for each Service Level Objective if you want the notification subscription to trigger only for that SLO.

Give that a try and let us know if it works ok for you.

March 31st, 2015 4:08pm

I have tried using the "Support Level Configuration" class, and this does allow me to input a unique identifier for the description, but I have no available criteria to add that points it to the status as well. It's like I can use one class and get the criteria for status, but not description, or I get it the other way around if I use a different class. I have tried all of the different Service Level classes looking for a good mix.

Any other ideas? :)

March 31st, 2015 5:22pm

I have 4 email templates:

1 for target resolution warning, and 1 for target resolution breach

1 for first response warning, and 1 for first response breach

I then have 4 different subscriptions, one for each of these templates. 

Maybe I need to explain myself better....

You only need 2 email templates not 4.

One for Warning for ALL types of metrics
and one for Breach for ALL types of metrics

That way whenever ANY metric hits a warning state it sends a single generic e-mail. To make that e-mail more specific use fields like description, target end date etc. that will pick up that data from your incident.

I hope this makes sense. I blogged about this last night here: https://systemcenternoise.wordpress.com/2015/03/31/two-different-slo-warning-and-breeched-e-mails-for-two-different-metrics/ 
So I hope that makes more sense.

March 31st, 2015 5:25pm

I ended up giving up on trying to send emails based of of SLOs since I couldn't find any way to make them specific to a Incident Tier/Request Support Group.  One way to accomplish your goal is to set up a notification with a periodic trigger.  Here you can set the criteria to be [Resolve By] greater than [Now] and [Support Group] equals <Target Support Group> and Priority equals 1 .  The drawback here is that it compares against the Resolve By Global setting.

You could give [Created date] greater than [Now + 4h] a try and see what happens.  Substitute your requirement for 4h.

March 31st, 2015 5:34pm

That did it! Sorry I couldn't quite figure that out on your first post. I tested it out as you described and they are finally separated. Now I just have to clean up my mess and get it all organized again.

Only been working with SCSM for a few weeks now. Don't be surprised if you see a couple more questions from me in the future. :)

Thank you!

March 31st, 2015 6:10pm

No Sweat.

Welcome to the world of SCSM.

Don't be shy to use these forums to open discussion topics. There is nothing worse that getting stuck on an idea for weeks when we can all help answer it much sooner.

Good luck

March 31st, 2015 6:36pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics