Multiple Operating systems on seperate drives
Hello, I have a desktop at home which I use for testing/learning and thought it would be a good idea to get hot swap trays and install Windows 7, Windows 8, and Server 2008 R2 on seperate drives and just swap them out and around when I wanted to work on something else. The problem I have run into is that after I installed Server 2008 R2 on another drive, I shut down and swapped it back with my Win 7 drive...It could not boot. I booted to the Win 7 disk and it said it repaired an issue with the boot. I thought that was just a coincidence. Today I pulled the Win 7 drive out and tried the Server 2008 R2 drive in and now it will not boot to that, says it cannot find a bootable device. I have worked with hardware/software for 9 years now and never heard of the motherboard keeping device info on hard drives...is this even possible? The only thing I can think is that the motherboard is keeping some data about the drives and not allowing the system to boot to it. any help would be Greatly appreciated.
August 24th, 2012 10:39pm

Hi, I have seen this behavior before. Check in your Bios settings if AHCI boot is enabled. While Windows 7 checks for AHCI when installed, and determines then whether to load the AHCI drivers or not.. It then never checks again once the initial check is complete. Assuming the AHCI settings work, you MAY be presented with a BSOD issue referencing a STOP x7B code Refer to this if you do: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 Kind Regards, Martin If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 26th, 2012 12:15pm

Hi, I have seen this behavior before. Check in your Bios settings if AHCI boot is enabled. While Windows 7 checks for AHCI when installed, and determines then whether to load the AHCI drivers or not.. It then never checks again once the initial check is complete. Assuming the AHCI settings work, you MAY be presented with a BSOD issue referencing a STOP x7B code Refer to this if you do: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 Kind Regards, Martin If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
August 26th, 2012 12:20pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics