Multiple IP addresses
Hi all I have Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise server and I'm stuck with it. I don't want it to take multiple IP addresses because I only need one and those 10 other addresses disturbs other network users. So, how can I tell the server to be not taking multiple IP's? The server uses a static IP address, 192.168.0.180. I haven't IPv6 enabled. It's running DNS and DHCP servers, and other computers use them as default.
June 22nd, 2011 3:14pm

Can you elaborate on what you mean by the server "taking" multiple IPs? If you have one IP assigned, where are you getting hte rest of the IPs? Have you looked at the IPv4 properties, advanced tab? are there more IPs listed there? If you do not need them, remove them. Please clarify...Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 22nd, 2011 5:16pm

Hello Mikko, I am not sure if you meant Static IP as opposed to dynamic that changes. If this is the case, you may have to manually enter the IP you want for that server and uncheck the dynamic. Under the TCP/IP properties, select the use the following IP address and enter the IP. This wil make sure that server only have that single static IP and will not be chnaged by DHCP. If server already have static IP, then this will not change unles you do so manuallyIsaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE,MCC View my MCP Certifications
June 22nd, 2011 5:55pm

I meant the real static IP which is set in the NIC's IPv4 Properties. In the advanced tab, there's only one IP set. There's no DHCP enabled, it's static. I've no idea what this is. I have seen people asking how to get multiple IP's, never how to get them off.
June 22nd, 2011 7:24pm

So then...does your server actually have 10 IP addresses assigned? If you dont see them in the IPv4 properties,and they do not show up in the results of IPCONFIG at the command prompt then what IPs are you referring to? If you have one NIC and a static IP, there is no process in which the server will continue to absorb additional IP addresses. You would have to assign them manually. Even in a DHCP configuration, the computer only leases one IP at a time. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
June 22nd, 2011 8:10pm

It has one static + 10 dynamic IPs. I don't know where they come from. I can't see them in the IPv4 properties, and not in the ipconfig. I have one NIC enabled at the time. I haven't assigned those IPs manually. I'm not sure, but this may be fixed: There isn't those IP's after I got the DHCP server working (Now it gives the client the right DNS server IP, it's own address). Let's see what it says tomorrow.
June 22nd, 2011 8:53pm

Do you have RRAS installed? When RRAS is enabled and configured for remote access using DHCP, the server will pull a grouping of IPs from DHCP and use them for hte remote clients. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
June 22nd, 2011 9:02pm

No, it's not enabled - never heard about RRAS. The server computer is the only computer which have multiple IPs. It doesn't get those IPs any more, but the DHCP leases some IPs for computers without name. There is about 5-10 IP leases where the client name is unknown (empty). Our computers doesn't have those strange IPs, I don't know where they come from. Is there any way to tell the DHCP to be not giving IPs for clients without name? It's strange because those no-name-IPs answer to ping requests. Nslookup can't find them.
June 23rd, 2011 3:31pm

Ok, so when you say that your server has 10 IPs assigned, you really mean that you are looking at the DHCP console and you see multiple leases? If this is the case and you are not sure which systems are being assigned these leases, you need to look at each lease and see what MAC address it was assigned to. Then track the system down. If you have managed switches, you can log into them and see what switch port the MAC is found on, then follow the cable and you will find the device. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
June 23rd, 2011 3:57pm

I can see them in the DHCP console. They each have the same MAC-address, it's the server's NIC. I can't see those informations from my switch, it's so old that it doesn't have a management console or what ever it's called.
June 23rd, 2011 4:08pm

Please check and see if RRAS is enabled on the server. Go to Administrative Tools, Routing and Remote Access. If the console appears and shows the server object with a green icon, its enabled and you most likely have VPN config set up. If this is the case and you do not need RRAS, then right click the server name in the console and disable the service. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
June 23rd, 2011 5:01pm

Oh, so RRAS means routing and remote access.. Hm. I can't turn it off because I need the VPN enabled. Is this the problem? I checked the Properties -> IPv4 and there was DHCP enabled. I tried to change it to static address pool and when I entered only one IP it said there must be at least two IP addresses. So, because I haven't tell it how many addresses I need, it gives me ten? Edit. Problem solved. Now I know what those IPs are and where are they from. Thanks for help!
June 23rd, 2011 8:21pm

Good to hear your problem has been resolved.Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
June 23rd, 2011 8:38pm

Ok, so when you say that your server has 10 IPs assigned, you really mean that you are looking at the DHCP console and you see multiple leases? If this is the case and you are not sure which systems are being assigned these leases, you need to look at each lease and see what MAC address it was assigned to. Then track the system down. If you have managed switches, you can log into them and see what switch port the MAC is found on, then follow the cable and you will find the device. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base. By the way, you said I need to track them. Where can I see their MAC addresses? I didn't find them in the DHCP control panel. I'm using Windows's DHCP server.
June 27th, 2011 10:55am

Before, you confirmed this was RRAS related, I was under the assumption that you were trying to track down unknown hosts that were connecting to your network and pulling a DHCP lease. In a network without any port security (802.1x), any network host can connect to the network and negotiate a DHCP lease. DHCP does not provide for any security, natively. So, on a network, if an unknown host obtains a lease and you want to find it, really, the only way is to figure out its MAC address (by using the DHCP console), then logging on to the layer 2 switches and looking over the MAC tables (this can only be done on managed switches). When you figure out which port the switch can see the MAC, you physically have to follow the newtork cable leaving that switch port and eventually, you'll be led to the host you are looking for. Since we have figured out this was RRAS related, that information I provided wasnt revelant to the scearnio. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
June 27th, 2011 5:11pm

Yes. You said "the only way is to figure out its MAC address (by using the DHCP console)", but where can I find the MAC address? I didn't find it anywhere. Edit. Lol, that Unique id was the MAC address. I didn't recognize it, because there was no : or - separators and the field's name was so baffling.
June 27th, 2011 6:45pm

Sorry about not being more specific...yes Unique ID = MAC Address.Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
June 28th, 2011 5:15pm

Thanks for replies, all problems solved thanks to you.
June 28th, 2011 6:57pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics