Multiple DNS resolvers on Windows, how?
Hello All, I am making a switch from BSD/OSX to Windows and am running into some issues regarding having certain domains being resolved by particular DNS servers. Is there a way in windows to route to a different dns server for ip resolution based on domain name? I want the following: DNS Primary DNS A DNS B I want DNS A to handle all domains that match the regex *.fabricam.com, and I want DNS B to handle *.woodgrovebank.com. Anything which doesn't match those domain names should be handled by the primary DNS. How does one do this in Windows (2008 R2, 7, and Vista)? How does one do this programmatically? On the mac there is a command called scutil which will let you create a list of dns resolver overrides and route to certain dns servers.
October 16th, 2011 1:56am

Hi, You can add multiple DNS servers to the client mechine without any issue. But to accomplish your task, you have to do it in the Primery DNS Server. Set the client DNS as the Primery DNS Server and add conditional Forwarders to *.woodgrovebank.com and *.fabrikam.com domains. All other domains, Primery DNS server will handle. Thamara.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 16th, 2011 2:20am

Hi, You can add multiple DNS servers to the client mechine without any issue. But to accomplish your task, you have to do it in the Primery DNS Server. Set the client DNS as the Primery DNS Server and add conditional Forwarders to *.woodgrovebank.com and *.fabrikam.com domains. All other domains, Primery DNS server will handle. Thamara. Thanks for the fast reply Thamara. That really sucks...so I have to use the Primary dns as a proxy to the other DNS servers? When you say I can add multiple DNS servers to the client machine I guess that means that Windows goes through the list of DNS servers top to bottom trying to find an entry and stops when it finds it? Is this correct?
October 16th, 2011 2:35am

Hi, Yes, your correct. If you specify multiple DNS servers in the client mechine, it'll try to resoleve the domain using all specified DNS servers. You can't tell which DNS server resolve the domain, if the domain you try is resolveable in all specified DNS servers. But if the client PC is registered to a DC, then it'll always use the DNS specified in the DC. Thamara.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 16th, 2011 2:53am

like mentioned already, you would use conditional forwarders to have selected dns servers for specific domains (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc794735(WS.10).aspx) however, i am not quite sure what you mean with proxy dns? clients would ask the domain dns, and that would resolve internal names and pass on via (conditional) forwarders the not resolved requests. one place to administer it. if by programmatically you mean scripting, the util in windows is called dnscmd (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc778513(WS.10).aspx). if really programmatically, id have to look up the corresponding api's
October 16th, 2011 1:11pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics