Multiple DC's, new installs on workstations are not always catching the primary DC
The setup here is there are two DC's. The DHCP and DNS DC is the primary one and is working fine. It is also the one that the new installs should be catching, as it will then load preconfigured scripts to install programs, etc. The other DC, also acting as the secondary DNS, is currently having issues but is still running, however some roles and features periodically will turn off. I do not have admin control of the servers as that is done remotely. What I would like to know is if there is a workaround I can do so that on new installs I do not have to constantly restart each machines multiple times before they get the group policy scripts. So the way it works is we install the new images of the workstations via network, then restart the machine. It does get an IP and has the correct DNS order, where it shows the primary as DNS 1, secondary as DNS 2. However, it typically requires 6 or more restarts before it will get the scripts to start the installs. I tried physically changing the network settings on the local workstations themselves so that only the primary DNS is listed, no secondary, but still have the same issue where multiple restarts are needed. Any help would be appreciated, and if you know what causes this issue that would also be great! Thank you.
January 11th, 2012 7:51pm

1. What operating system do you use? This would influence testing tools (eg. netdiag for W2K3) 2. What is differenece between DC1 and DC2 except for FSMO roles that are sitting on the first DC? 3. First of all you should have healthy Active Directory. Clean up minor issues as soon as possible. 4. Second there should be correctly functioning DNS and replication between DC's. Active Directory is multimaster system and both DC would provide clients with appropriate resource records. 5. Are there any records in event logs? Regards Milos
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 11th, 2012 8:08pm

Windows XP Pro SP3 is the OS on the workstations. Server 2003 is on the two DC's. DC2 is the old DC and was demoted, but there still might be some data that is needed on it, so they are going through it before replacing it. Unfortunately as I stated I do not have full admin rights on the servers as they are remotely administered. I am trying to find a workaround to the issue until they take care of it, which has been going on for about a month now. Thanks again.
January 11th, 2012 9:37pm

As an update I also have a Windows 7 32bit computer that should be grabbing the group policy settings as well, but sadly it too does not work. This means I cannot change any user account control settings on it as it does not recognize the admin login.
January 12th, 2012 12:27am

Hi, Does it work if you run GPUpdate /force on the clients? This issue can be caused by slow link, fast logon or others. Based on the current situation, you may enable the following group policy to check the result: Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon Please also disable slow link detection by modifying the value to 0 (zero) for the following policies: Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Group Policy\Group Policy slow link detection User Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Group Policy\Group Policy slow link detection For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft KB articles: Description of the Windows XP Professional Fast Logon Optimization feature http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305293 How a slow link is detected for processing user profiles and Group Policy http://support.microsoft.com/kb/227260 If the issue persists, would you please collect and upload the following information to me here. Collect the Userenv.log ============== Subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon Entry: UserEnvDebugLevel Type: REG_DWORD Value data: 0x00030002 (Hexadecimal) After the issue reoccurs, find and upload %windir%\Debug\UserMode\Userenv.log file. Regards, Arthur Li TechNet Subscriber Support If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here .Arthur Li TechNet Community Support
January 12th, 2012 9:47am

Hi, Does it work if you run GPUpdate /force on the clients? This issue can be caused by slow link, fast logon or others. Based on the current situation, you may enable the following group policy to check the result: Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon Please also disable slow link detection by modifying the value to 0 (zero) for the following policies: Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Group Policy\Group Policy slow link detection User Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Group Policy\Group Policy slow link detection For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft KB articles: Description of the Windows XP Professional Fast Logon Optimization feature http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305293 How a slow link is detected for processing user profiles and Group Policy http://support.microsoft.com/kb/227260 If the issue persists, would you please collect and upload the following information to me here. Collect the Userenv.log ============== Subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon Entry: UserEnvDebugLevel Type: REG_DWORD Value data: 0x00030002 (Hexadecimal) After the issue reoccurs, find and upload %windir%\Debug\UserMode\Userenv.log file. Regards, Arthur Li TechNet Subscriber Support If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here .Arthur Li TechNet Community Support
January 12th, 2012 9:47am

Hi, I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help. Regards, Arthur Li TechNet Subscriber Support If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here .Arthur Li TechNet Community Support
January 15th, 2012 9:12pm

Hi, I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help. Regards, Arthur Li TechNet Subscriber Support If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here .Arthur Li TechNet Community Support
January 16th, 2012 5:08am

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately I do not have admin access and while I am new to this company I find these issues very taxing. They tell me they are looking into it, which means I will continue to have issues with the process. Again, thank you for your time and help.
January 16th, 2012 10:30am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics