Multihomed server unable to ping its gateway.
I am not quite sure what you mean by this. Please ensure your backup packet send as 10.212.125.31 and then update the reverse route.
January 13th, 2012 8:51am

I have a Windows server 2003 R2 SP2 that has 2 virtual NICs. One NIC is DMZ and the second NIC is BACKUP. I am able to ping everything on the DMZ network without issue. I am able to ping everything on the BACKUP network if the BACKUP NIC is DISABLED. I am unable to ping the BACKUP network gateway if I enable the BACKUP NIC. I am able to ping a few computers on the BACKUP network if I have it enabled but not the gateway. I only have the gateway specified on the DMZ NIC. If I go to another server I am able to ping the BACKUP NIC when its enabled. Anyone have any ideas? This one really has me stumped and it is on a production server.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 13th, 2012 10:42am

The tracert from this server works perfectly to the host 10.192.87.80. They are on different networks so that is the reason for the IP differences. I wanted to display to servers with exactly the same configuration. On the server that is not working I would like to be able to reach the 10.212.87.80 address. I am unable to do. If I add the 10.212.87.80 to the host file I am able to ping the server but am unable to actually connect and get data. I am guessing the transmission gets lost on the return route.
January 13th, 2012 12:08pm

Write out the routing table route print Often you should add a path into routing table routing add ... Regards Milos
January 13th, 2012 12:26pm

Sorry I forgot to mention that. I have a persistent route for the BACKUP NIC set.
January 13th, 2012 12:29pm

Use tracert command to ensure routing is working perfectly.
January 13th, 2012 12:57pm

Using tracert on the gateway gives me a time out. If I use tracert on the IPs that I can ping it is a single hop to that IP.
January 13th, 2012 1:03pm

What help do you expect, if we have not seen the routing table? Regards Milos
January 13th, 2012 1:52pm

Updated information: I am able to ping 10.212.125.11 with the BACKUP NIC enabled but, I am unable to ping the BACKUP gateway still.
January 13th, 2012 1:53pm

I do not believe it is a routing issue. I have several other servers that work just fine with the same routes. Obviously different IPs though.
January 13th, 2012 1:57pm

Hi, I am not quite sure what you mean by this. I mean ensure your backup application send backup data from backup NIC, and add reverse route entry in backup server point to this server. It's correct to check connectivity to the default gateway first. Please check 10.212.125.1 gateway ACL, vlan, or disable DMZ NIC to test. Regards, Rick Tan TechNet Subscriber Support If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here. Rick Tan TechNet Community Support
January 14th, 2012 12:44am

Hi, Route When only DMZ NIC enabled: 10.212.87.42--10.212.87.1--10.212.87.80 Route When DMZ and Backup NIC enabled: 10.212.125.31--10.212.125.1--10.212.87.80 Please ensure your backup packet send as 10.212.125.31 and then update the reverse route. Regards,Rick Tan TechNet Community Support
January 14th, 2012 1:54am

Hi, Thank you for your post. Correct me if any incorrect: DMZ NC1 IP 10.212.87.42/24, gateway 10.212.87.1 Backup NC2 IP 10.212.125.31/24, Backup network 10.212.87.80/29,gateway 10.212.125.1 You want to ping gateway 10.212.125.1 but failed Please elaborate more, like other server's route table and tracert result. Regards, Rick Tan TechNet Subscriber Support If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here. Rick Tan TechNet Community Support
January 14th, 2012 3:21am

Hi, I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help. Regards, Rick Tan TechNet Subscriber Support If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.Rick Tan TechNet Community Support
January 18th, 2012 8:27pm

Still having the same issue. There is not a route on the backup host though. That route doesn't exist for any of the hosts. It is not multihomed. I am unable to justify putting a static route in there from the backup host to this host. If the others were not working this way I would have justification. Any other thoughts? I may end up just rebuilding.
January 19th, 2012 6:49pm

Still having the same issue. There is not a route on the backup host though. That route doesn't exist for any of the hosts. It is not multihomed. I am unable to justify putting a static route in there from the backup host to this host. If the others were not working this way I would have justification. Any other thoughts? I may end up just rebuilding.
January 20th, 2012 10:51am

Hi, Please gather MPS reports on the server if it is convenient so that we could learn the network configuration more clearly. a. Download Microsoft Product Support Reports tool from the following link, according to your system architecture. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en b. Right click on downloaded mpsreports_x86.exe or mpsreports_x64.exe, and choose Run as Administrator. c. Agree the License Agreement, and choose This Computer. d. Select General, Internet and Networking, Business Networks, Server Components, Windows Update Services, Exchange Servers, SQL and other Data Stores, and click Next. e. After finishing collecting the logs, please choose “Save the result” to save it to a .CAB file, and send the CAB file to the workspace. The MPS Reporting Tool is utilized to gather detailed information regarding a systems current configuration. The data collected will assist the Microsoft Support Professional with fault isolation. The reporting tool DOES NOT make any registry changes or modifications to the operating system. URL: (https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=30cdf87f-ab74-4717-8326-eb48a03b91cf) Password: g7AAjH1v8l8sWS Note: You may see four options on the above site. You can move the mouse pointer over one option and see the detailed information. If you do not want to install an ActiveX control, you can choose “Send Files to Microsoft – Standard” directly. Best Regards Scott Xie
January 27th, 2012 2:44am

Due to this being a production server I could no longer wait. I have since rebuilt the system and it is now functioning properly. Thank you all for your help.
February 4th, 2012 9:20am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics