Multi VLAN and Netbios over TCP/IP
Hi all, My network consists of two domain controllers running Windows 2008 (Windows 2008 AD Services) and all the client computers are running Windows XP. All the machines are member of the 2008 AD domain. Each and every department PCs in its own VLAN and Inter VLAN routing configured in the Cisco 3560 Switch. My problem is, when users open my network place and try to get the list of computers under the Domain they can only see the PCs that are belongs to their own VLAN. They cant see the PCs in the remote VLAN. They can browse any PCs by using the UNC Path in the run command. Other than this everything is working and there is no connectivity issue. Windows XP personal firewall is disabled and there is no NBT traffic block list or policies or access list configured in the Switch. NetBios over TCP/IP enabled in the switch. If I want to propagate the entire computer list Via My Network Place what would be the configuration I have to do in the network?? Windows Browser service can be work on Multi VLAN networks?? If I install the WINS service on one of my 2008 DC will solve the problem?? If that, how can I configure WINS in the Windows 2008 DC?? Please help??? Cheers, AFRAZ
April 13th, 2009 9:54am

Yes, you need WINS to browse a routed network. The computer browser service uses broadcasts, and these are blocked by routers. WINS allows the browse masters to communicate across the routers using direct connections (using IP addresses obtained fromWINS). Just install WINS on the DC and configure all machines as WINS clients.Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 14th, 2009 6:52am

Thanks bills, It works fine, also I have done the configuration change in the 2008 DC that act as a PDC emulator. I mean in 2008 DC's computer browser service is disabled by default, I started the computer browser service and made the startup type as automatic. After few seconds it was start to propagate all the list of computers. This link really helped to me overcome this issue http://blogs.technet.com/networking/archive/2008/07/25/netbios-browsing-across-subnets-may-fail-after-upgrading-to-windows-server-2008.aspx Cheers AFRAZ
April 15th, 2009 1:43am

Nice, was looking for the same solution :-)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 27th, 2010 8:04am

Thanks Dude ... resolved my issue .. i was facing this from last two months.Manoj Godiyal System Admin TechMahindra Ltd India.
May 2nd, 2011 4:25am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics