Multi-value User columns vs Native Refinement

Following Scenario:

• SiteColumn called "MultiUser" with type User, allowing multiple values.
  • MultiUser added to a Library
  • Multiple users added per item e.g.:

[Title]   [MultiUser]
    Item1     Mike; Marc; Tom
    Item2     Marc; Bjrk
  • Add a managed property "MultiUserMP" with type text and mapping to crawled property "ows_MultiUser" allowing multiple values

• Full crawl

Problem: Unfortunately, the multi-value column is not represented in the refinement result table! Meaning that the refinement table is not:

[RefinementName]   [Count]
    "Mike"             1
    "Marc"             2
    "Tom"              1
    "Bjrk"            1

but:

[RefinementName]   [Count]
    "Mike; Marc; Tom"  1
    "Marc; Bjrk"      1

This seems to happen only for "User or Group" columns. Refiners for multi-value Choice, Lookup, and Managed Metadata columns are calculated correctly...

Any ideas how this can be fixed?

NB: If the "User or Group" column is added as a Site Column, SharePoint creates an own Crawled and Managed Property. The managed property is postfixed with "OWSUSER" and contains an enhanced user representation (i.e. not only the display name of the user, but an OWS-User String of following format: "eMail-Address | DisplayName | EncodedClaimsName ClaimsName")

January 14th, 2015 1:26pm

Hi Tiliavir,

Per my knowledge, the default crawled property for the site column MultiUser is ows_q_USER_MultiUser and another crawled property called ows_MultiUser is created after adding the site column to a library or list.

It seems that the ows_q_USER_MultiUser will index each value inside the MultiUser column when there is multiple values, and the ows_MultiUser will only index the full values inside the MultiUser column.

So if you want to get separated values in the Refinement web part, I recommend to use the ows_q_USER_MultiUser and map it to the corresponding managed property instead.

Best regards.

Thanks

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 19th, 2015 12:51pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics