Msinfo32.exe tool reports Total Physical Memory as 3.65 GB, while I have Total Installed Memory as 8GB.  I'm running Windows Server 2008 x64, SP2.
Hello IT Folks, I have look many sites and forums but couldn't find the answer to my specific problem/ the version that i'm runnung. I have Windows Server 2008, x64 bit, SP2 and I notice on the Msinfo32.exe tool reports Total Physical Memory as 3.65 GB, while I have Total Installed Memory as 8GB. OS Name Microsoft® Windows Server® 2008 Enterprise Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002 Other OS Description Not Available OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name DC-EXCHANGE System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation System Model PowerEdge 840 System Type x64-based PC Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X3220 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A08, 6/24/2009 SMBIOS Version 2.4 Windows Directory C:\Windows System Directory C:\Windows\system32 Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2 Locale United States Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005" User Name DC-EXCHANGE\Administrator Time Zone Pacific Standard Time Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB Total Physical Memory 3.65 GB Available Physical Memory 2.94 GB Total Virtual Memory 11.4 GB Available Virtual Memory 10.7 GB Page File Space 7.84 GB Page File C:\pagefile.sys I have Dell PowerEdge 840, Intel Xeon Quad Core X3220 / 2.4 GHz, support x64 bit hardware. I have tried the following: Check the Bios, for any memory remapping - This feature is not available. Upgrade the Bios from A06 to A08 Install the hotfix (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950233/en-us#appliesto) but this article only apply to version 6.0.6001.22148 and I'm on 6.0.6002.18005. I tried the installation anyway, and is said "this update does not apply to my system". I tired enable the PAE but those only apply to 32-bit version. If anyone have exprience the same problems or have a solutions to this...please help!!! Thanks in advance.
December 15th, 2010 2:50pm

Also, I have 4x2 DDR2 RAM, they all coming from the same model and manufacture. I also run the Memory Test on each one and they all pass.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 15th, 2010 2:51pm

Hi, How the memory is reported by other components of the UI? 1. Please open Task Manager, highlight Performance tab to see the total memory report. 2. Please also press Win + Break keys to show the system properties and check how much memory is reported. I noticed that the installed memory is 8 GB, it means that two RAMs are recognized on your computer. But the Total Physical Memory is 3.65 GB. Generally, Total Physical Memory displays the total amount of memory that Windows is using. This may differ from “Installed Physical Memory”, it depends on the memory configuration and the specific operating system that is used. Regarding your problem, I would like to suggest you checking the following options: 1. Click Start, type: msconfig.exe in Start Search box, click Boot, click Advanced options, see if the “Maximum memory ” box is checked, pleas uncheck it. 2. Right click the Desktop, click Screen Resolution, click Advanced settings, highlight Adapter, check how much graphic memory is used. If the issue persists, please unplug one RAM and see how it works. More references: Components of the user interface in Windows Vista and in Windows Server 2008 report slightly different values for the total physical memory that is available on the computer Best Regards DalePlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 15th, 2010 9:44pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics