Moving from Samba to an ADI... Cal for each user?
We are migrating from Samba to AD do I need a CAL for each user on the domain?
March 12th, 2008 9:12pm

Kturney wrote: We are migrating from Samba to AD do I need a CAL for each user on the domain? For Windows Server 2003 Windows Client Access Licensesare not required if access to the server software is via the Internet and is "unauthenticated"for example, accessing a Web site for general information where no identifying credentials are exchanged. In your scenario you'll need to purchase Windows Client Access Licenses. (source) For Windows Server 2008 Every user or device that accesses or uses the Windows Server 2008 server software requires the purchase of a Windows Server 2008 Client Access License (Windows Server CAL) except under the following circumstances: If access to the instances of server software is only through the Internet without being authenticated or otherwise individually identified by the server software or through any other means If access is to Windows Web Server 2008 If external users are accessing the instances of server software and you have acquired a Windows Server 2008 External Connector license for each server being accessed For up to two devices or users to access your instances of the server software only to administer those instances In your scenario you'll need to purchase Windows Client Access Licenses. (source) Device CALs vs. User CALs In Active Directory environments it's wiseto choose between user-based Client Access Licenses (User CALs) and device-based Client Access Licenses (Device CALs) (instead of Per Server licensing) since Per User/Per Device mode tends to be the most economical designation for Windows CALs in distributed computing environments where multiple servers within an organization provide services across most devices or users. The option to choose between the two types of Windows CALs offers you the flexibility to use the licensing that best suits the needs of your organization. For example: Windows Device CALs might make most economic and administrative sense for an organization with multiple users for one device, such as shift workers. Whereas, Windows User CALs might make most sense for an organization with many employees who need access to the corporate network from unknown devices (for example, when traveling) and/or an organization with employees who access the network from multiple devices. (source)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 13th, 2008 9:59am

Hello, You could refer to the information shared by Sander. If you have morelicensing relatedquestions,please call 1-800-426-9400 (select option 4), Monday through Friday, 6:00 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. (PST) to speak directly to a Microsoft licensing specialist. Worldwide customers can use the Guide to Worldwide Microsoft Licensing Sites to find contact information in their locations. By the way, the following licensing FAQ for Windows Server 2008 is for your reference: Regards, Neo Zhu MSFT
March 14th, 2008 5:50am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics