Moving from SBS 2003 to 2012R2 Essentials without migrating

Moving from SBS 2003 to 2012R2 Essentials without migrating

This will not be a migration.  They've had Blackberry Enterprise Server on it, which is a security nightmare and doesn't uninstall cleanly.  Moreover, there are big differences in the default security between SBS 2003 and 2012R2.  There are only 5 users, and less than 65 gigs of data, and they will be on Office 365 before I start this.  There are very few shares, and most were created by software install programs.  I don't see any reason why I would want both servers on the network at the same time.  I may even reuse the domain, server name, and IP.

I normally do migrations, but with only 5 users, this looks easier, with no chance of skeletons in the closet.  These are my thoughts:

New server while off network:
1.  Set up users
2.  Set up groups
3.  Install Server Anti-Virus
4.  Install new cert
5.  Set up DHCP range and reservations
6.  Set up DNS forwarders and any custom DNS entries
7.  Install printer drivers and printers
8.  Prove backup software
9.  Recreate schedule items to be same as old server

Old Server:
1.  Document current shares
2.  Copy data from 2003 server, to an external drive

New Server while off network:
1.  Copy data from external drive, to new server
2.  Set up the shares same as the old

Workstations while on old server:
1.  Copy off any profile files to external drive
2.  Remove workstation server-based AV
2.  Uninstall workstations from network.
3.  Clear out any remnants of roaming profiles

Old Server - Disconnect from network
New Server - Connect to network

Workstations on 2012:
1.  Join workstations to new domain.
2.  Connect to Server AV and install
3.  Check printing
3.  Initialize Office Software
4.  Set up Outlook
5.  Copy over any files from old profiles.

Done!

Let me know if you see anything I missed.
Thanks!

August 26th, 2015 9:52pm

Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that you want to build a new Windows Server 2012 Essentials domain and replace old SBS 2003. 

they will be on Office 365 before I start this. If no specific server, such as Exchange, SQL, and only Windows Server related. It would be much simple.

Your plane seems to build a new WS 2012 Essentials domain, reference the old SBS 2003 to configure the new Essentials(install roles, new folders and etc.). Then, Re-join the client to new domain.

It seems no obvious problem about your plan. However, Old Server - Disconnect from network, New Server - Connect to network, and Join workstations to new domain, without considering of any error/problem during this process, a period of time is still needed to complete this.

Although it is a simple environment with several users and small amount of data, compared with migration(transfer data/settings from old server), there is much more work about configuration you need to do. 

In my opinion, migration is recommended if possible. Above are my suggestions, and just for your reference.

Best Regards,
Eve Wang
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 27th, 2015 5:42am

Thank you for the reply.  There is plenty that goes into getting a server ready for migration, and plenty of steps in the migration process.  The odds of finding and removing all of the skeletons from closets during a migration is effectively zero for both the server and the workstation profiles.  As far as timing goes, these things are performed on weekends, with someone on site when they open for business, to deal with any user software glitches.

Thanks

August 27th, 2015 11:17am

Hi,

Hope everything goes well ~

Best Regards,
Eve Wang
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 27th, 2015 9:58pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics