Moving a Server out of One Domain to another - How to Test?

Hi,

I'm required to create a test plan regarding moving a server out of one domain and putting it into another, any suggestions of what should be tested? How do you test the correct GPO's are being applied?

Apologies for the vague detail/question, I've never had to create a test plan before.

Many thanks in advance.

August 24th, 2015 11:24am

Hello

on the server what is running? only fileshare or somthing else? /exchange sharepoint sql .../

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 24th, 2015 1:05pm

Some Company owned software, nothing else, no sql etc.
August 24th, 2015 1:43pm

If there is no AD integrated software, for example Exchange server, running on that computer, then you just unjoin and rejoin the computer to new domain.

For the GPO part, you can run "GPresult /h result.html" to generate a HTML report. This will give you a detailed break down of each setting and the GPO from which it came.

More reference about this command: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733160.aspx

Regards,

Eth

August 25th, 2015 10:15am

Hi,

Also, please take care of domain user accounts that are member of local groups (like member of local administrators, RDP etc..). Ensure you have same user account created in new domain and added to respective local groups after joining the server to new domain.

-Umesh.S.K

August 25th, 2015 10:25am

Hi,

Also, please take care of domain user accounts that are member of local groups (like member of local administrators, RDP etc..). Ensure you have same user account created in new domain and added to respective local groups after joining the server to new domain.

-Umesh.S.K

August 25th, 2015 10:25am

Hi,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Thanks,

Regards,

Eth

August 27th, 2015 11:02pm

Hi,

I'm marking the reply as answer as there has been no update for a couple of days.

If you come back to find it doesn't work for you, please reply to us and unmark the answer.

Regards,

Eth

August 30th, 2015 9:31pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics