Moving WSUS data
Hello, we have a full WSUS disk. We would like to move data to another larger disk (on the same server) How can we do this? thank you
November 14th, 2011 3:33pm

Hi there,

You can move the update files to another disk, please read the following link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939838(WS.10).aspx

You can also try running the Server Cleanup Wizard, to get some disk space back.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 14th, 2011 6:00pm

Hi,

The following procedures will help you overcome low disk space problems:

·        Using the Server Cleanup Wizard to remove unneeded content.

·        Moving the content directory to another drive

·        Moving the SQL Server database to another drive

To use the Server Cleanup Wizard to remove unneeded content

1.      In the WSUS administration console, select Options, then Server Cleanup Wizard.

2.      By default this wizard will remove unneeded content and computers that have not contacted the server for 30 days or more. Select all possible options, then click Next.

3.      The wizard will begin the cleanup process, and will present a summary of its work when it is finished. Click Finish to complete the process.

To move the content directory to another drive

1.      Create a new content directory on another drive.

2.      Locate the WSUSUtil.exe utility in the Tools directory of your WSUS installation (typically C:\Program Files\Update Services\Tools).

3.      Open a command window, navigate to the Tools directory, and type the following:

4.      wsusutil movecontentNewContentPathMoveLog

5.      where NewContentPath is the new content directory, and MoveLog is the path and filename of the log for this operation.

Note

For more information on using the WSUSUtil utility, see Managing WSUS 3.0 from the Command Line in the Operation Guide

To move the SQL Server installation to another drive

1.      Open a command window.

2.      Type net stop wsusservice

3.      Detach the SUSDB database.

4.      Copy SUSDB.mdf and SUSDB_log.ldf to the new location.

5.      Attach the SUSDB database from the new location.

6.      Type net start wsusservice

7.      When the system is working properly, delete SUSDB.mdf and SUSDB_log.ldf from the old location.

Best regards,

Clarence

November 15th, 2011 5:15am

Hi Clarence,

i would like to move the SQL Server Installation to another drive...however, i am not sure how to detach/attach the SUSDB database..

can you please walkthrough me..

thanks

anthony

April 12th, 2013 10:53pm

Am 12.04.2013 schrieb Anthony Guzman:

i would like to move the SQL Server Installation to another drive...however, i am not sure how to detach/attach the SUSDB database..

Here you will find a small Article:
http://www.geeklab.info/2010/05/how-to-move-your-susdb-wsus/

If you can German, i have a HowTo in German:
http://www.wsus.de/move_susdb

Wi

April 12th, 2013 11:10pm

Hi Winfried,

at some point i dont understand the method on how to move it around..

1st.  i need to install this to the Server?see below.

"I got the tools from the microsoft website. I downloaded sqlncli.msi and SQLServer2005_SQLCMD.msi"  < -

2nd. how can i achieve this below command?see below.

1. "c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\SQLCMD.EXE" -E -S np:\\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query -Q "sp_detach_db 'SUSDB'"

2. Now move the SUSDB.mdf and SUSDB.ldf to their new location. In the example below, we use E:\WSUSDB\. Use explorer to move the files to the path you'd like.

3. Then we reattach the database:

<code>"c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\SQLCMD.EXE" -E -S np:\\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query -Q "sp_attach_db @dbname=N'SUSDB',@filename1=N'E:\WSUSDB\SUSDB.mdf', @filename2=N'E:\WSUSDB\SUSDB_log.ldf'"

thanks

Anthony

April 12th, 2013 11:30pm

at some point i dont understand the method on how to move it around..

Where is the Problem?

1st.  i need to install this to the Server?see below.

"I got the tools from the microsoft website <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=d09c1d60-a13c-4479-9b91-9e8b9d835cdc&displaylang=en>. I downloaded sqlncli.msi and *SQLServer2005_SQLCMD.msi"  < - *

2nd. how can i achieve this below command?see below.

1. "c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\SQLCMD.EXE" -E -S np:\\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query -Q "sp_detach_db 'SUSDB'"

Here you detach den SUSDB.

2. Now move the SUSDB.mdf and SUSDB.ldf to their new location. In the example below, we use E:\WSUSDB\. Use explorer to move the files to the path you'd like.

3. Then we reattach the database:

<code>"c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\SQLCMD.EXE" -E -S np:\\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query -Q "sp_attach_db @dbname=N'SUSDB',@filename1=N'E:\WSUSDB\SUSDB.mdf', @filename2=N'E:\WSUSDB\SUSDB_log.ldf'"

And here you attach the SUSDB. Sorry, i don't understand where is the
problem.

Wi

April 12th, 2013 11:43pm

just clarification..once i downloaded the sqlncli.msi and *SQLServer2005_SQLCMD.msi" - i need this to be installed to the server? right?

basically, what i want to clarify is how can i detach/reattach the DB,,what will be the procedure?

when i did go double click the sqlcmd.exe it only gives me a command screen but not able to type-in and it disappears after a few seconds..a detailed clarification on how to do this will be greatly appreciate.

thanks Winfried

anthony

April 13th, 2013 12:26am

just clarification..once i downloaded the sqlncli.msi and *SQLServer2005_SQLCMD.msi" - i need this to be installed to the server? right?

Yes.

basically, what i want to clarify is how can i detach/reattach the DB,,what will be the procedure?

Follow the steps in the posted article.

when i did go double click the sqlcmd.exe it only gives me a command screen but not able to type-in and it disappears after a few seconds..a detailed clarification on how to do this will be greatly appreciate.

SQLCMD.EXE is a Commandline Tool. Open a CMD.EXE as an Administrator,
execute the Commands like this. Change in the directory, SQLCMD.EXE is
presented, now you can run the commands:

sqlcmd.exe -E -S np:\\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query -Q "sp_detach_db 'SUSDB'"

2. Now move the SUSDB.mdf and SUSDB.ldf to their new location. In the
example below, we use E:\WSUSDB\. Use explorer to move the files to
the path you'd like.

3. Now reattach the SUSDB:

SQLCMD.EXE" -E -S np:\\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query -Q "sp_attach_db @dbname=N'SUSDB',@filename1=N'E:\WSUSDB\SUSDB.mdf', @filename2=N'E:\WSUSDB\SUSDB_log.ldf'"

The Path e:\WSUSDB\ must be present and SUSDB must be there.

Wi

April 13th, 2013 9:53am

I ran thru the commands to move the content to my F:\ drive and it was successful.  Now I have 2 copies of everything. 

1. Can I safely delete the content on my C:\ drive? 

2.  Is there somewhere within WSUS to show me that it is now pulling the updates from F:\ drive?

April 16th, 2013 5:07am

Am 16.04.2013 schrieb Whammer29:

1. Can I safely delete the content on my C:\ drive? 

Have a look in Propertys from a couple of updates. Do you see the
correct path to the new content?

2.  Is there somewhere within WSUS to show me that it is now pulling the updates from F:\ drive?

Approve a update for installation, wait for synchronize, after this,
control the new content.

Wi

April 16th, 2013 8:20am

Hi,

i run into syntax error..please help

before i run this i already stop the service update and w3svc services..

thanks

anthony

April 21st, 2013 7:30pm

Am 21.04.2013 schrieb Anthony Guzman:

i run into syntax error..please help

<http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/274687>

Remove the quotes " after SQLCMD.EXE".

Wi

April 21st, 2013 8:28pm

thanks Winfried. I did removed the quote (") after SQCLCMD.EXE. and didn't give me errors.

would that mean i had successfully moved the mdf and ldf files? is there a way to know that...so i could delete the .MDF and .LDF on my C: drive..

thanks for your help..anthony

April 22nd, 2013 9:30pm

Am 22.04.2013 schrieb Anthony Guzman:

thanks Winfried. I did removed the quote (") after SQCLCMD.EXE. and didn't give me errors.

Sounds good. ;)

would that mean i had successfully moved the mdf and ldf files? is there a way to know that...so i could delete the .MDF and .LDF on my C: drive..

You can rename both files and after a week working with WSUS you can
delete both files.

Wi

April 22nd, 2013 10:07pm

ok i did renamed the old MDF and LDF.

follow up question.

1.how do i know that the New MDF and LDF is updating/running properly?

2.I also notice on my updates that the oldest updates i have was in january 2013.is there a way to know if Microsoft has released updates already?

thanks for your help Winfried.

April 22nd, 2013 10:33pm

1.i do i know that the New MDF and LDF is updating/running properly?

Start WSUS.MSC and klick a little around in views updates and
computers. Restart the service from SQL Server.

2.I also notice on my updates that the oldest updates i have was in january 13,2013.is there a way to know if Microsoft has released updates already?

Start a replication with Microsoft Servers.

Wi

April 22nd, 2013 10:52pm

--- I am not too familiar with WSUS..so how can i Restart the service from SQL Server?

2.I also notice on my updates that the oldest updates i have was in january 13,2013.is there a way to know if Microsoft has released updates already?

--- Where can i find the Start replication with Microsoft Servers?

thanks for your patience Winfried..

April 22nd, 2013 11:21pm

--- I am not too familiar with WSUS..so how can i Restart the service from SQL Server?

Look for MSSQLServer, i have no machine with WID running now.

--- Where can i find the Start replication with Microsoft Servers?

On the Start Page from WSUS, click on 'Jetzt synchronsieren' in
German. http://www.wsus.de/images/content/lup/01_WSUS30SP2.png

Wi

April 23rd, 2013 12:40am

Hi Winfried,

looks like the workaround was successful..i would like you to see the image so you can tell me if it's ok now to remove the old MDF and LDF. thanks and please let me know..

April 23rd, 2013 5:19pm

Hi Clarence,

i have a WSUS server with 100gig and it is almost full only 3% free space (WSUS content folder is using more space) on the D drive and it is win2k3 physical box. Few things running in my mind as below. Please help which is good and also provide the steps to follows depending on the option and Also Correct me if any thing is wrong from below options

1) Add a disk of 200gig and and move the content to that drive as per the steps suggested above under To move the content directory to another drive

2) Perform a P2V of the box  and attach a disk of higher capacity . if ur option is 2 , then please provide the steps to follow before and after the migration for WSUS

3) Build a new win2k8 box X64bit and install the WSUS on the new server and move the WSUS content folder from old server to new server. please help with the steps  for configuring the wsus on win2k8 ,if ur option is 3

Also need which option will reduce the downtime or outage and also please help for configuring the wsus on win2k8 if ur option is 3

Your quick response is much appreciated.. thanks in advance

Thanks

Suri

June 19th, 2013 4:01pm

i have a WSUS server with 100gig and it is almost full only 3% free space (WSUS content folder is using more space) on the D drive and it is win2k3 physical box. Few things running in my mind as below. Please help which is good and also provide the steps to follows depending on the option and Also Correct me if any thing is wrong from below options

Why not just FIX the overconsumption of space as described in this thread you've posted to (and presumably read)?

Remove the approvals for the thousands of updates you don't need to have approved, decline them, and run the Server Cleanup Wizard to delete those tens of gigabytes of files you don't need either.

June 19th, 2013 5:17pm

Hi Lawrence,

I have approved only required Critical and Security updates and also ran server cleanup wizard but it was not helping to clear much space. So I am planning to extend the disk. please let me know if you wish to suggest any other plan other.

Thanks,

Suri

June 20th, 2013 3:22pm

I have approved only required Critical and Security updates

And my suggestion is that if you currently have more than 500-600 approved Security/Critical Updates, then you need to remove the approvals from the superseded updates that are no longer needed by declining them. THEN you can run the Server Cleanup Wizard and reclaim the disk space associated with those update files.
June 20th, 2013 11:50pm

Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for your Suggestion.

Will remove the old approval on WSUS server.

Thanks

Surii

June 21st, 2013 5:37pm

Hi Lawrence,

I have tried declining the old security and Critical updates . that also cleared less space.

Now we are planning to move the Wsus content folder from old drive (G) to new drive(F)

from cmd prompt i am running like this.

G:\>wsusutil movecontent F:\WSUS F:\Move.log

Please let me know if the above syntax is correct.

also we need to delete the source file under G drive to get the space.. Do we need to do any testing on WSUS  before deleting the source folder if so please specify..

Thanks

Surii

June 26th, 2013 1:26pm

G:\>wsusutil movecontent F:\WSUS F:\Move.log

Please let me know if the above syntax is correct.

The syntax is correct, provided the F:\WSUS folder already exists; however, the command will not run as presented. The WSUSUTIL.EXE utility is in %ProgramFiles%\Update Services\Tools and it is not defined in the System Path. You must run this command from the ~\Tools folder.

also we need to delete the source file under G drive to get the space..

As the command implies.. it will *MOVE* the content from the source to the destination. There should be no need to do any further action on drive G:. Do *NOT* delete the G:\WSUS folder, or any remaining subfolders as they are used for other purposes not related to the content store.
June 27th, 2013 11:38pm

Thanks Lawrence for the update

I am going to implement the change coming Saturday . Will let you know if any issues

Thanks

Surii

July 2nd, 2013 11:37am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics