Moving Indexes to new drive

Hi All,

I want to move all indexes into new separate drive for this I need to create new .ndf file in particular drive.

Mirroring has configured for the DB but the principal and mirror servers do not have same drives.
In principal I want to move indexes to new I:/ drive and the I:/ derive is not present in mirror server Please suggest.

• Edited by ImranKazi Wednesday, September 02, 2015 2:54 AM
September 2nd, 2015 2:53am

You can deploy database mirroring with different drive structure, but if you add a file to the Principal, the DDL commands get applied across the Mirror, then your database probably goes into a suspended mode sta
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 2nd, 2015 6:54am

Yes, ideally yes.
September 2nd, 2015 7:08am

The way we used to do this when we still had mirroring around was:

1) Add the file (Mirror goes to suspended)

2) Make a Log Backup on Primary

3) Break mirror (disclaimer: I am not sure if you really need to do that or if the next steps runs without it as well... It has been too long...)

4) Restore the one Log Backup on the Mirror WITH MOVE clause (and NORECOVERY)

5) Reestablish the mirror

The whole process takes about 5 minutes to do and generates very little traffic overhead.
September 2nd, 2015 12:49pm

You can deploy database mirroring with different drive structure, but if you add a file to the Principal, the DDL commands get applied across the Mirror, then your database probably goes into a suspended mode status

September 2nd, 2015 11:47pm

Moving the index itself does not impact the mirror, as long as you don't create new files.
September 2nd, 2015 11:59pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics