Moving 2008 SBS to another network
I have set up Windows 2008 SBS on a network with subnet 10.1.81.x. This network is separate from the company network because I wanted to do some experimentation on the server. The SBS installation process has assigned the IP address 10.1.81.2 to the server. I now need to move the server to a network with subnet 192.168.10.x. What is the best way to do this? I have previously had problems with the server hanging in "Applying computer settings" during startup if the network setup was not correct, so I desperately want to avoid that situation. So, in what order should I do things? Should I manually change the IP address, run the "Fix My Network Wizard", and then move the server? Or should it be the other way round?
November 4th, 2010 10:20am

Hi, You can rerun the CTIW to reassign the IP address, subnet mask and gateway on the SBS server. It is as simple as you can think. Beside reassign the static IP address settings, please also pay attention to: 1. If the SBS server will work as a DHCP server, rerun the wizard will generate a DHCP scope for 192.168.10.x with new options which will be distributed to clients. 2. To make sure other SBS components (Exchange, RWW and so on) work as expected, please set the proper port redirection on the gateway for the 192.168.10.x network to publish services to internet.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 4th, 2010 12:45pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics