Movement of BizTalk Servers from Physical to VM

Hi,

Please can you let me know the feasibility of the below scenario.

We are having BizTalk 2006 Installed on 2 physical servers. We want to move them to Virtual Machines ..everythign will be same on the VMs including the machine names and the IPs. 

Would we still require a reconfiguration of BizTalk Servers?

Regards,

March 25th, 2015 12:18pm

Its Possible but it's a tedious job indeed! You have to be careful and you need good support of your Infrastructure team.

Refer some good discussion around the same.

Converting Biztalk servers from Physical to Virtual

Biztalk 2006 R2 P2V Conversion to VMWare

Rachit

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 25th, 2015 1:51pm

Refer to https://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/cc764232.aspx - which details the Physical to Virtual Migration process, tools, checklists and such.

When you say 2 physical servers are you implying a BizTalk - SQL split OR a cluster? A BizTalk - SQL split should be relatively easy to move into a VM while a cluster would necessitate remapping the SAN/Shared Storage.

Secondly, while you may be able to take the NAME's across, you might not be able to take the IP's across because of underlying Network (VLAN) or subnet changes between the VM infra and the physical infra.

if the names remain, BizTalk reconfiguration would not be required.

Regards.

March 26th, 2015 1:59am

BizTalk Server 2006 is almost out of support so the only option is to migrate to later versions.

And also you have plans to migrate to VM, I am just wondering why aren't you migrating to new Server i.e. BizTalk Server 2013 R2? Because going forward that should be the plan.

In case you just want to migrate to VM's, it definitely has many challenges as suggested by Rachit

March 26th, 2015 2:18am

Hi Prashanth, 

we have some limitation in still having to maintain the BizTalk 2006R2 servers for some more time. While we are migrating some applications to newer BizTalk 2013. 

Regards,

Ujjwal

March 26th, 2015 8:51am

Thanks for the useful links Rachit. Appreciate your help :)
March 26th, 2015 8:53am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics