Moved WSUS files; unable to load Update Services; SQL Server crunching

I moved the WSUS files (not including the database) to a new local drive using wsusutil.  I started this process on the evening of September 3.  The last thing in the log is "Initiated content integrity check and repair".  SQL Server NT 64-bit is currently using about 10% CPU and has been doing so since at least yesterday.  I cannot open the Update Services MMC.  I get one of the two errors at the bottom of this post.  I assume that is because the content integrity check and repair is not yet finished.  

After doing some reading, it appears that WSUS requires some active maintenance.  This is some side work I do for a friend's small business - it's not my 9-5.  My regular job is IT, but it's not WSUS administration.  So I'm ignorant of some aspects of WSUS and I haven't done a whole lot in the way of maintenance.  I think it may just be taking a very long time to do the integrity check.

My question is what do I do at this point?  Should I just wait for it to finish?

Error 1:

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server Database.

Verify that SQL server is running on the WSUS Server. If the problem persists, try restarting SQL.

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException -- Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

The statement has been terminated.

Source

.Net SqlClient Data Provider

Error 2:

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API. 

Verify that the Update Services service, IIS and SQL are running on the server. If the problem persists, try restarting IIS, SQL, and the Update Services Service.

System.Net.WebException -- The operation has timed out

Source

System.Web.Services

September 7th, 2015 5:39pm

Hi,

>>My question is what do I do at this point?  Should I just wait for it to finish?

If the wsusutil doesn't throw any error, wait might be the best option. I assume it should be finished now.

Normally, as you have known, we need to run the server clean up wizard regular to keep the WSUS well maintained.

Best Re

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 13th, 2015 10:34pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics