Move system partition Windows 2008 Standard
hi,need your help..i'm stumped. hard drive settings on win2k8 is like this:C - boot partition (30gb) - running out of spaceD - system partition (271gb)190gb unallocated space (which i shrink from D partition)whenever i go to disk management to extend C. the Extend Volume is greyed out.. but on d drive Extend volume is not greyed out.So I want to delete D partition so I can extend C volume..but the problem is D drive contains system partition.. How to move system partition to the boot partition? really need your help guys on how to solve this.. thank you so much in advance.. pls. help!!!regards,chris
February 19th, 2010 5:48am

Hi Chris, Please understand that the extend partition feature only works with contiguous space. As the contiguous space of your Drive C is Drive D, you cannot extend it. To extend your Drive C, you may have to use some third-party partition tools. Tim Quan - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 19th, 2010 10:37am

Hi Tim, any third party partition tools..you recommend? there is no way i can move or copy the system partition to C drive?I'm thinking if I can copy or move the system partition to c drive, then i can delete d, then extend c drive. Thank you.
February 20th, 2010 4:31am

Hi,If you convert the disk to Dynamic you maybe can extend the C Volume.If the system is dual boot it maybe cannot boot to other OS.Also convert to Dynamic Disk is one way only think again !Check this out first !http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/Litmus/disk_dynamic.htmHave you solve create account in Vista ? over here Hope you find the info useful
February 20th, 2010 1:46pm

vista creating account not yet solved and this one also win 2k8.. problems are compiling up..don't know what to do.. :)
February 23rd, 2010 10:50am

just for update: able to find a work around but quite tough.for anyone who might encounter same problemFirst and foremost: Backup Server using the Windows Backup (included in Win2k8) -> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770266(WS.10).aspxThen:1. I shrink D partition, to make a new volume.2. Move the data files on d drive to the newly created partition.3. Delete D partition (so can extend C volume) but need to delete first D system volume information Delete "System Volume Information" : Gain access to System Volume Information using Cacls At command prompt: cacls "Systme Volume Information" /g administrator:F (grant full access to the folder) Then delete the System Volume Information: rd "System Volume Information"4. After deleting System Volume Information, go to Server Manager -> Disk Management -> Then delete D partition5. Then go to command prompt. Use diskpart: At Diskpart: execute list volume, select volume 1 (which was the c partition), then execute "Extend" After executing "extend" c partition was extended to the unpartitioned spacePRECAUTION:6. But upon restarting the server, it wasn't unable to boot it shows "Boot Mgr is Missing"7. So I did a "System Recovery" using the backup.8. After doing the recovery server was up, but some applications need to do reconfiguration. But it's better than starting from scratch which need to do DC configuration, DNS settings, etc...Thanks. :)
March 4th, 2010 11:15am

Tim is right, the built-in Disk Management only can extend the low disk space into contiguous unallocated space. There is a article which has detailed steps to move space from one partition to another, especially the out of space partition. http://www.extend-partition.com/partition-windows-server/move-space-to-another-partition-on-server.html
March 12th, 2011 2:42am

i think u have made this problem too complicated. actually, u just need to get a professional partition tool, then u can extend any partition u want. in a software all the drives are allocated in a line, and you can simply resize the drive by dragging them forward or backward. here's a partition tool for server . ps: backup the partition before u move it.
March 16th, 2011 4:09am

hi adam, yeah that software is good it will cost you few bucks. The one that i did on (see 3rd post), not a single penny was lost. :)
March 25th, 2011 11:25am

The main reason of the extend volume grayed out is server 2008 disk management can not move the unallocated behind to the system partition even it was given the resize performance. Do not worry, there are many partition magic server alternatives for you, and with the detail guide of resize partition windows server 2008.
April 14th, 2011 2:41am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics