Move scvmm to new hardware host

Hello,

I have Virtual Machine Manager 2012 R2. The DB is hosted on a SQL 2014. Both VMs (SCVMM & SQL) are currently hosted on a 2008r2 server (DataCenter) and need to be moved to a new hardware host (2012r2 DataCenter). Luckily the other DBs on that SQL are "disposable" (eventually they'll be deleted).

The move itself will be done with the classic Export/Import in Hyper-V. Is it possible to do it while keeping the ID and most importantly without having to uninstall/reinstall VMM? It is like a restore from backup (minus the crash).

Question is asked because I've only found (so far) the scenario of moving the DB between SQL servers (not moving the SQL between hosts) and others may like the info as well.

Also, I want to limit the post-move clean up...

Thanks for the input.

September 7th, 2015 9:00am

Look at https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Hh831535.aspx

During the import process, you can choose how to import the virtual machine.

Restore - Uses the original virtual machines unique ID and also copies the virtual machine files to the default location specified for the host.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 7th, 2015 1:15pm

Hi Sir,

>>The move itself will be done with the classic Export/Import in Hyper-V. Is it possible to do it while keeping the ID and most importantly without having to uninstall/reinstall VMM?

Hyper-v host 2012R2 can not directly import the exported VM created in 2008R2 host .

In your case , you are going to migrate two VMs from 2008R2 host to 2012R2 host .

If it allows off-line time for VMM server , I would suggest you shutdown the original SCVMM and SQL VM first  .

Then try to copy all of the VM's files  to new 2012R2 host then import the VMs directly .

After that , please power on  SQL and SCVMM to check if they work correctly .

In addition , please refer to the article below:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/rmilne/archive/2013/10/22/windows-hyper-v-2012-amp-8-1-hyper-v-did-not-find-virtual-machine-to-import.aspx

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

September 9th, 2015 4:17am

To move the SQL, first I exported it from the 2008r8 host, then an intermediate import on a 2012 host. Repeated the export/ import from the 2012 host to the 2012r2 host (restoring the ID each time).

Powered back the SQL to check it was OK then off again to move the SCVMM (so that it's on the same host when doing host maintenance) to the new host.

Powered back the SQL then the SCVMM, it took maybe 5 minutes for the VMM console to refresh and put the 2 VMs on the right host and in the right state. Everything is responding OK so far: I can start/stop a VM on the 2012 host and successful migration of a VM from the 2012 to the 2012r2 host (VM working as usual) using the VMM console.

edit: moving VM from host 2008r2 to host 2012r2 through VMM console => OK
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 9th, 2015 7:51am

To move the SQL, first I exported it from the 2008r8 host, then an intermediate import on a 2012 host. Repeated the export/ import from the 2012 host to the 2012r2 host (restoring the ID each time).

Powered back the SQL to check it was OK then off again to move the SCVMM (so that it's on the same host when doing host maintenance) to the new host.

Powered back the SQL then the SCVMM, it took maybe 5 minutes for the VMM console to refresh and put the 2 VMs on the right host and in the right state. Everything is responding OK so far: I can start/stop a VM on the 2012 host and successful migration of a VM from the 2012 to the 2012r2 host (VM working as usual) using the VMM console.

edit: moving VM from host 2008r2 to host 2012r2 through VMM console => OK
September 9th, 2015 11:50am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics