Move profiles and home folders windows 2008
Hi, i'm in the process of moving an existing infrastructure Site 1 to a new Site 2. I created a new domain, new AD and i'm moving only the data. So the new AD been created, the AD users been moved, as they are in the current environment but to the new domain. I created a new file server as well and im moving home folders, profiles as well as common folder using robocopy My question are:- Now when i finish moving home folders, profiles and common folders. How to configure them in the new AD. take into consideration that the AD is a new one and with the same users on the old AD and the same folders from the old file server? thanksITLAAL
May 8th, 2012 3:59pm

Hello, this will not work, migration has to be done with ADMT or similar tools. The new created environment has complete new SIDs and even if you have created the domain users with the same names they will not be able to access data from the other domain user account stored on the machines or after copying to the new server. During copy with robocpy the permissions are lost if you don't work with ADMT and have created a trust before. Please check http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/archive/2010/03/25/migrating-active-directory-to-a-new-forest.aspx what ADMT is and how it is related to the OS versions.Best regards Meinolf Weber MVP, MCP, MCTS Microsoft MVP - Directory Services My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/ Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 8th, 2012 4:24pm

Hi Meinolf, Thank you for your respond. Take into consideration that im not migrating im creating a new domain. They dont need anything from the old domain just the data. I just took the users from the old domain so that the users will not notice any change of course the domain name will be different but the login name will be the same. Is it possible to reset the permission on the copied files and then set re-configure them? ITLAAL
May 8th, 2012 4:55pm

Hello, ADMT is for AD migration. It does not help in your current situation. You mentioned that you just care about the user profiles and home folders now. I would recommend using the USMT (User State Migration Tool) to move user profiles. Windows User State Migration Tool (USMT) http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10837 Thanks Zhang
May 9th, 2012 3:44am

Hello, ADMT is for AD migration. It does not help in your current situation. You mentioned that you just care about the user profiles and home folders now. I would recommend using the USMT (User State Migration Tool) to move user profiles. Windows User State Migration Tool (USMT) http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10837 Thanks Zhang
May 9th, 2012 3:44am

hi, lets say that the old domain is called dom1.com. the new domain is dom2.local. So it totally a new domain and there is no trust between the two domains. what i did is that i moved the users from dom.com. recreate them on dom2.local. with of cource @dom2.local instead of @dom1.com. Now im moving their home folders and profiles as well as common folder. I will select all the users from AD users and computers and then edit their propirities and add their home drive \\filserver\home\%username%, (in this case they will assign an existing home shares) then their profiles \\fileserver\profiles\%username% (were in this case they will have a new profile) Correct me if im wrong but the above approach should work. Then comes the diffecult part of setting the write permissions for each folder: It will be like this Home\home1\user1 and then Home\Home2\user2. So now i have two questions: 1. what is the proper permissions, inhertance, ownership as well sharing for each folder (Home, Home1 and user1) as well as (Home2, user2)? 2. Is it possible to change the permission according your recommendation to the above question using subinacl? Thanks in advnace! ITLAAL
May 9th, 2012 8:20am

Hello, Meinolf is correct. If you want to move the users over to the new domain, you need ADMT to move the AD users if you want to keep their current permissions intact, otherwise the SID's will not match. Alternatively, you can reset the permissions on the folders after you move them. I would create new AD users, set up their profiles and home folders on the new domain then copy/paste each users folder into their respective new folder, and propagate permissions so that the users root permissions propagate to all the child folders. Miguel Fra | Falcon IT Services, Miami, FL www.falconitservices.com | www.falconits.com | Blog
May 9th, 2012 9:29am

Hi, Thanks for your respond. It was not possible to use ADMT because i didn't have trust between the two domains. The new domain was part of old domain. So i wonder if still possible to answer me questions above. Thanks in advance!
May 9th, 2012 10:08am

Hi, I solved the problem using the below approach. Then used the autocreations of the Home Directories in AD and then resync the folders been moved without copying the permissions using robocopy to the autocreated files and everything worked as it should! Hopefully that was hopeful! ITLAAL
May 20th, 2012 3:32pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics