Move already once migrated CA to another new server
My CA has already been migrated once several years ago to 2008 R2 Domain controller. The Certifcate name is the name of the ORIGINAL server, call it EXCHANGE and it lives on a server called DOMAIN_CONTROLLER_1 I want to move the CA to DOMAIN_CONTROLLER_2 (also 2008 r2 DC) so I can decommission the old server DOMAIN_CONTROLLER_1 As the CA name is not DOMAIN_CONTROLLER_1, do I actually need to rename anything as part of this process? All the certs carry the name EXCHANGE Using: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee126140(v=ws.10).aspx#BKMK_ImportCACert as reference.
April 23rd, 2012 9:24pm

Thanks Angelo, just to clarify - your situation had a CA name of EXCHANGE but was running from a server with name OLD_SERVER and you moved it to the server with name NEW_SERVER and kept the CA name as EXCHANGE throughout the operation?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 23rd, 2012 10:50pm

Finally got around to this and used a new server for the job. All seems to have transferred OK, no errors at any point, nothing in event log. Only changes I made were the "CAServerName" value in the registry key and granting the new server full permissions on the varuious AIA and CDP apths in AD/Sites and Service PKI as per MS inctructions. I've only just completed but testing on a PC, I can't pickup any new certs, ALL show as unavailable. This might be AD replication yet to occur or a problem. Tests below: certutil -getreg CA\CRLPublicationURLs HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CertSvc\Configuration\EXCHANGE\CRLPublicationURLs: CRLPublicationURLs REG_MULTI_SZ = 0: 65:C:\Windows\system32\CertSrv\CertEnroll\%3%8%9.crl CSURL_SERVERPUBLISH -- 1 CSURL_SERVERPUBLISHDELTA -- 40 (64) 1: 79:ldap:///CN=%7%8,CN=%2,CN=CDP,CN=Public Key Services,CN=Services,%6%10 CSURL_SERVERPUBLISH -- 1 CSURL_ADDTOCERTCDP -- 2 CSURL_ADDTOFRESHESTCRL -- 4 CSURL_ADDTOCRLCDP -- 8 CSURL_SERVERPUBLISHDELTA -- 40 (64) 2: 0:http://%1/CertEnroll/%3%8%9.crl 3: 0:file://%1/CertEnroll/%3%8%9.crl CertUtil: -getreg command completed successfully. certutil -getreg CA\CACertPublicationURLs HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CertSvc\Configuration\EXCHANGE\CACertPublicationURLs: CACertPublicationURLs REG_MULTI_SZ = 0: 1:C:\Windows\system32\CertSrv\CertEnroll\%1_%3%4.crt CSURL_SERVERPUBLISH -- 1 1: 3:ldap:///CN=%7,CN=AIA,CN=Public Key Services,CN=Services,%6%11 CSURL_SERVERPUBLISH -- 1 CSURL_ADDTOCERTCDP -- 2 2: 0:http://%1/CertEnroll/%1_%3%4.crt 3: 0:file://%1/CertEnroll/%1_%3%4.crt CertUtil: -getreg command completed successfully. certutil -crl CertUtil: -CRL command completed successfully. Do I need to add a CNAME in DNS to point requests to EXCHANGE to go to my new CA?
May 9th, 2012 12:01am

Gave it a bit more time (and a PC reboot) and could now renew my Wireless certificate, looks pretty happy - still wondering if I need to add a CNAME though?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 9th, 2012 12:24am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics