Monitoring of scopes changed in DHCP
DHCP server is setup on two different servers on an enterprise network. Among the services my team manages, DNS is one of them. I will go in and compare DNS reverse lookup to DHCP scopes occasionally in case somebody added a new scope in without notifying us. Is there a way to get an alert when a DHCP scope or super scope is added, modified or removed? I've looked through the audit log and looked through DHCP Management Pack for MOM. Anybody have any ideas or recommend 3rd party software to do this? Thank you in advance!
July 13th, 2011 12:27pm

Hi, I am not sure of a standard snap-in way of doing this within server. I have achieved this before with a script for use with our 3rd party monitoring software - Check out link: https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/bind-users/2004-November/054007.html Best of Luck! If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 13th, 2011 1:22pm

Nothing that I can think of out of the box, but surely could be done if you had some programming skills. This would require building a process where on a routie basis, query DHCP, get a list of the scopes, store them, then validate the list from the previous query. If a change is detected, send out an alert. Additionally, if you can locate an audit log that is of interest, then follow up by creating the appropriate config in the MOM/SCOM management pack to pick up on the log and take the appropriate action. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
July 13th, 2011 1:31pm

Hi, Thanks for posting here. The little utility in the blog post below might also help you to achieve the goal: DHCP Server Events Tool http://blogs.technet.com/b/teamdhcp/archive/2009/03/20/tool-to-read-dhcp-server-events-for-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 14th, 2011 2:58am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics