Monitoring SharePoint 2010 with SCOM 2012

Hi,

I am writing SLDC and nee to know what can SCOM 2010 on SharePoint 2010 monitoring.

Best,

June 4th, 2013 1:16pm

Generally the management pack guide is the best place to start when wanting to get a sense of what a SCOM MP is capable of monitoring. The SCOM MP & Guide for SharePoint 2010 can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4419

This Management Pack monitors:
  • Access Services
  • Document Conversions Launcher Service
  • Document Conversions Load Balancer
  • Excel Calculation Services
  • InfoPath Forms Service
  • Managed Metadata Web Service
  • One Note Service
  • PerformancePoint Service
  • PowerPoint Web Service
  • Project Server Service
  • Project Server Events Service
  • Project Server Queuing Service
  • Secure Store Service
  • SharePoint Server Search
  • User Profile Service
  • Visio Graphics Service
  • Word Conversion Service
  • Word Viewing Service
Feature Summary
The SharePoint 2010 Products Management Pack is built to detect, diagnose, and alert on software and hardware incidents discovered by agents installed on SharePoint machines.
  • Health monitoring of SharePoint Server 2010, Project Server 2010, Search Server 2010, and Office Web Apps
  • Monitors Events and Services and alerts when service outages are detected
  • Monitors Performance and warns users when SharePoint performance is at risk
  • Forwards users to up-to-date TechNet knowledge articles

• Proposed as answer by OpsConfig Monday, June 10, 2013 12:59 PM
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 10th, 2013 12:59pm

Thank you OpsConfig for providing info.  While I was reading SCOM 2012 planning guide, some SCOM feature are only available if you purchase them.  Would you have any idea what are those features? 
June 10th, 2013 5:40pm

Hi,

Would you please let us know more details about your concerns and what you noticed in the planning guide?

Regarding planning SCOM 2012, please refer to:

Planning the System Center 2012 - Operations Manager Deployment

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh473583.aspx

For monitoring SharePoint 2010, you can try the management pack as OpsConfig suggested; if it doesnt meet your requirements, you can also try to author your own MP.

Thanks.
June 12th, 2013 5:15am

Hi Nicholas Li, thanks for providing the link.  As I was reading many different documents for planning/deployment and implentation guides.  There was a note "Some of SCOM feature are only available if you purchase them".  I would like to know for example: is APM one COM feautre/support or is it add-on support which we will need to purchase it.  Also, as I mentioned I am trying to find out "Pricing" for purchasing licenses for our enviornment and provide it to our management team.  Once again, I appreciate your prompt response and I look forward to hearing your feedbacks regarding my questions.

Best,

Ziba

June 12th, 2013 2:59pm

Hi Nicholas Li, I tried looking for SharePoint monitoring for following request by SharePoint Admin but so far no luck :(

Here are the following metrics\scenarios I would like to be monitored in SCOM 2012:

• Site Administrator: Anytime a site admin is removed or added an alert sent to the SharePoint admin group.
  • A site reaching its threshold\quota limit an alert sent to the SharePoint admin group and site collection admin group.
  • Any site deleted and by which user\account an alert sent to the SharePoint admin group.
  • Any new site added to the farm an alert sent to the SharePoint admin group.
  • Sites unreachable an alert sent to the SharePoint admin group.
  • Sites slow in response an alert sent to the SharePoint admin group.
  • Scan through the site and see if any bad links are there an alert sent to the SharePoint admin group.

I appreciate your help finding any related info to above request?

Best,

Ziba

July 31st, 2013 8:47pm

Hi Nicholas Li, I tried looking for SharePoint monitoring for following request by SharePoint Admin but so far no luck :(

Here are the following metrics\scenarios I would like to be monitored in SCOM 2012:

• Site Administrator: Anytime a site admin is removed or added an alert sent to the SharePoint admin group.
  • A site reaching its threshold\quota limit an alert sent to the SharePoint admin group and site collection admin group.
  • Any site deleted and by which user\account an alert sent to the SharePoint admin group.
  • Any new site added to the farm an alert sent to the SharePoint admin group.
  • Sites unreachable an alert sent to the SharePoint admin group.
  • Sites slow in response an alert sent to the SharePoint admin group.
  • Scan through the site and see if any bad links are there an alert sent to the SharePoint admin group.

I appreciate your help finding any related info to above request?

Best,

Ziba

June 17th, 2015 9:49am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics