Monitor Only One Server for HD Usage

Hello,

I am running SCOM 2012 R2 and I want to monitor only one server for HD usage.  Is it possible to setup a monitor and an e-mail alert for this one server to monitor its HD usage?

February 23rd, 2015 8:44am

You may Create a custom disk usage monitor for monitor one server. For detail, pls. refer to

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mspfe/archive/2012/04/26/how_2d00_to_2d00_monitor_2d00_disk_2d00_usage_2d00_with_2d00_system_2d00_center_2d00_operations_2d00_manager.aspx

Roger

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 23rd, 2015 9:34am

Hello,

Thank you replying,

I'm sorry, but there has to be a better way than creating a script and then running the script on a schedule to find out if the HD is full.  Can I use the built-in monitor that comes with the agent, and configure this one client to alert me when the HD is say 90% full?

February 23rd, 2015 9:47am

Hi,

There is a built-in monitor for Logical Disk Free Space monitoring, we can use it to generate alert when the free space is lower than a value.

I would like to suggest you go through the link below to get more details about the monitor.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/jonathanalmquist/archive/2009/04/04/logical-disk-free-space-monitor.aspx

To get email when alert fired, we should configure notification:

OpsMgr 2012:  Configure notifications

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2012/04/28/opsmgr-2012-configure-notifications.aspx

Regards,

Yan Li

February 24th, 2015 12:07am

Windows OS MP has built-in monitor which can for monitoring HD usage

1) Windows XXXX Logical Disk Space Monitor: by default enable

2) Windows Server XXX Logical Disk Free Space %) Low: by default disable

You can

a)  override monitor 1)  threshold of % full for a particular server

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh212869.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

b) Configure email subscription

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2012/04/28/opsmgr-2012-configure-notifications.aspx

Roger

February 24th, 2015 1:31am

Hello,

Neither article describes how to setup an alert for only one server.  For example, I created my own monitor to check for low HD space for one of my 2003 servers.  I setup an e-mail alert as well.  It worked perfectly.  However, I started getting alerts from my other servers as well and I do not want that.  I went and configured the default monitor in the MP and I ended up with the same scenario.  I just want to monitor one server.  Is that possible? 

February 24th, 2015 8:52am

Hi 

Yon create a performance counter monitor for logical disk free space for specifies drive.

Performance counter:

Object :LogicalDisk

Counter :% Free Space

Instance : Instance name

Refer below link for more information how to create performance counter monitor 
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh457563.aspx

https://sites.google.com/site/scomblogs/journal-blog/processperformancemonitoringinscom
ensure the monitor is disabled and target to windows computer, you can create an override for specifies server instance to enable and create a subscription to enable email.

Regards

February 24th, 2015 12:18pm

There are two possible ways:
1) Create a custom monitor with monitor is enabled is unchecked
   Create an override with enable set to true to specific object of class

2) In your notification, select the created by specific rules or monitors and raised by an instance with specific name
created by specific rules or monitors: Select your custom rule
raised by an instance with specific name: select the computer which your want to monitor

Roger

February 25th, 2015 12:28am

Hi There,

As Roger has shown the screenshots, You will need to override the alert / monitor.

Right click the monitor

Disable the monitor

Right click again select override and select for the object class "Class what you gave during creation"

Select the server where you want the alert to come

Finally In the enabled parameter select the overrided value as true.

Now go to override summary and see, So it will be the agent where you want and the Parameter must be Enabled and True

Now you will receive the alert only for that agent you want.

February 25th, 2015 12:48am

2) In your notification, select the created by specific rules or monitors and raised by an instance with specific name
raised by an instance with specific name: select the computer which your want to monitor

Roger

• Proposed as answer by Gautam.75801 Wednesday, February 25, 2015 5:44 AM
February 25th, 2015 5:28am

Roger

• Proposed as answer by Gautam.75801 Wednesday, February 25, 2015 5:44 AM
February 25th, 2015 8:28am

Hello,

Thank You.  I will give it a try.

February 25th, 2015 8:52am

Hello,

Since I have been testing this, I figured it would be better to have a monitor for all of my servers insted of an individual monitor.  I would like to use the default monitor in the MP "Windows Server 2003 Logical Disk Free Space (%) Low".  I like this monitor because the alert has all the data I need.  But I cannot find a way to enable it.  I can override it and set the Enabled entry to TRUE.  But it does not do anything and it is still listed as disabled.  How can I enable this monitor without having to create a custom monitor based on this one?

February 25th, 2015 8:59pm

You should Select --> override the Monitor --> For all objects of class: windows Server 2003 Logical disk and select enable to true.
If you server OS is not Windows 2003, you should override relevance monitor such as  "Windows Server 2008 Logical Disk Free Space (%) Low" or  "Windows Server 2012 Logical Disk Free Space (%) Low".  
Roger
February 25th, 2015 9:32pm

Hello,

I did that for both 2003 and 2008.  I setup an alert with both of these monitors.  I get no e-mails and the servers do not go into a critical state when I fill up the drives.

February 26th, 2015 8:56am

Hi There,

I would sugges you to ceate a custom Unit monitor for this and check.

Create a Unit monitor With target Windows server operating system ( Which includes all versions of Windows O/S)

Use the below performance counter.

My alert fires when the disk on any drive goes below 10 %

And mention the threshold what you want

Carefully select the health state ? Critical or Warning <10 % or what ever you want and create the alert.

Check the above and post me the results.

February 26th, 2015 9:50am

Hello,

The thing is that I would like to use the existing monitor.  Is that possible just by enabling it or is my only option to create a custom monitor?

February 26th, 2015 11:37am

Hi, no need to create a custom monitor

1. You can create a subscription to this monitor with specific instance (one server)

2. You can create a subscription to this monitor but disable this monitor for all instances and enable it for your one server.

February 26th, 2015 11:43am

Hello,

I got both the 2003 and 2008 Logical Disk Monitors working.  I gave up on creating a custom monitor for one server.  As I start to roll this out to all of my servers, I will eventually end up with a single monitor for all of my servers.  One thing that is weird is that both the 2003 and 2008 monitors both alert me when the threshold is met.  Then on their next scheduled check, they alert me that the resolution is closed.  The check is every 15 minutes.  At 11:00, I will get new alerts stating that the HD is low.  At 11:15, I will get an alert that the resolution is closed.  I haven't fixed the problem, so why is it saying it's closed?  This happens with both 2008 and 2003.  It also happens with my custom monitor as well as the native monitor. 

February 26th, 2015 12:42pm

Why is my custom monitor alerting me with a new alert, but the resolution state is closed?  I just filled up my server's D: drive to generate the alert.  But when the alert is e-mailed to me, it states that the resolutions state is closed.
February 27th, 2015 9:02pm

Hi There,

Can you check if you have clicked in the resolution state both "New" and " Closed" by mistake?

Because if the above is the case then you will get alerts for both closed and new alerts. So just uncheck the close and just check the new.

If the above is not the case then delete and re create the subscri

February 28th, 2015 4:22am

Open the health explorer od problematic server d: and select the state change events tag.

What is the state change event?

Does it change from unhealthy into health

Roger

• Proposed as answer by Gautam.75801 Wednesday, March 04, 2015 4:11 AM
March 3rd, 2015 8:00am

Hello,

I got my custom monitor working again.  I deleted it and created a new monitor.  Now when I fill up a drive, the alert comes in with a resolution state as NEW.  When I free up the space, the alert comes to me as closed.    Thank you for your help.

March 3rd, 2015 10:06pm

Hello,

I got my custom monitor working again.  I deleted it and created a new monitor.  Now when I fill up a drive, the alert comes in with a resolution state as NEW.  When I free up the space, the alert comes to me as closed.    Thank you for your help.

March 3rd, 2015 10:06pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics