Modifying a Multiboot Environment to remove W2008
I wonder if anyone can help me with this problem that I have generated for myself. I have a system which was originally built with W2008 64 bit on a single partition which was mirrored on two disks (hardware raid). At a later time I added an extra disk to the system (not raided) and put W2008 R2 on as a multiboot system. All works well but the original 2008 (r1) system is now redundant and I would like to remove it and move the R2 system onto the raided disks. So I backed everything up with PING just to be sure I could revert at any time (just as well). I then wiped the raid disks, copied the partition from the non raid disc to them (block copy) and of course the system fails to boot. Tried a repair with the utilities on the install media to no avail.b After many hours and trying every thing I could think of to get it to work I gave up and restored everything. Can anyone tell the correct way to do this or at least a way which might work. Thanks
October 19th, 2010 6:20am

Unfortunately there's no easy way to move the installation of Server 2008 R2 on the single disk onto the RAID array because you're changing the underlying storage. You could potentially try a backup/restore task sequence with MDT to sysprep the server and place it onto the RAID array, as that way it will pick up the "new" hardware. To get rid of Server 2008 from the boot sequence you need to modify the Server 2008 R2 boot loader - use BCDEDIT to do this, but don't forget to back up the boot loader first so that you can recover if all goes awry :-)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 17th, 2010 7:54pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics