Modifying NTFS permissions on a Previous Version?

Hi,

I am attempting to restore a file from a previous version on a DFS server.  I select a previous version, Open (same results with Copy or Restore), the window opens with the list of folders, but when I attempt to open anything, I get "Windows cannot access \\localhost\D$.....".

Technically, the account I am using should have permission, but I believe the permissions are corrupt and did not apply completely when initially set up.  I can go an fix the permissions on the original folder using icacls, but how do I correct the permission on the previous version?

Thanks in advance.

J

• Edited by Jupooka Tuesday, January 07, 2014 5:51 PM
January 7th, 2014 8:50pm

Hi J, 

What is the account you are used? If you want to restore a file from a previous version without correct permission, please try to the settings below to see if they are help:

1. Try to log on use the build in local administrator to restore.
2. You can turn off the UAC or you can revise the folder permission comparing the good folders. 

Regards, 

Mandy
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 8th, 2014 11:24am

Hi Mandy,

The account I am using is listed as having full permisison but I belive the sub folders never got updated with this correctly.  I've tried using the local administrator account with no luck.  If I try to change the permissions on the 'Previous Version', no matter which account I use, it says 'Access Denied'.  I can change the permission on the original or live copy of the data, but the issue is working with the VSS/Previous Version.

J

January 8th, 2014 6:00pm

Hi, 

If you dont have permissions on a Previous Version and the permissions are corrupt, I think we could not modify the permission on the previous version.

Regards, 

Mandy
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 15th, 2014 4:29am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics