Missing context menu - Windows Server 2008 R2
Hello, I have a 2008 R2 server that is exhibiting some strange issues. First off for another user and myself, when we right click on the desktop and go down to New, all we see there is (Empty). Another weird thing is that the recycle bin appears empty but always displays the option to empty the recycle bin. One more strange thing is that I cannot lock the task bar. The option never gets checked off. A few coworkers can however do all of these things with no issues. I have tried deleting a problem user's local profile and had them log back in to find the strange behavior. I have run sfc /scannow and restarted to see the same issue remains. Has anyone out there run across a fix for this? Thanks for your time and input!
June 23rd, 2011 11:20pm

Also, I am getting event ID 1542 in the event logs stating: Windows cannot load classes registry file. DETAIL - The system cannot find the file specified.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 24th, 2011 10:16pm

The default user profile may be corrupt. You might try the customize process to overwrite it. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973289 Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
June 25th, 2011 5:48am

Thanks for your reply Dave. That really seems like a mess to sysprep a production server! I'll try it and let you know the result.
June 27th, 2011 10:38pm

Its largely a guess based on what you've told us. You may want to start a support case with Microsoft product support to confirm. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
June 27th, 2011 10:43pm

Sorry for the delay but I just wanted to stop in and say thank you. This resolved the issue!
July 11th, 2011 9:02pm

Good to hear. Thanks for letting us know. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
July 12th, 2011 1:25am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics