Missing ODBC drivers
Hello,We run a Windows 2008 Standard 64-bit Server (de).We need to use the Microsoft ODBC for Oracle driver but it's not accessible under System-DSN. There is only the SQL driver and nothing else.Turns out they are not missing but merely unused.The regkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\contains only the SQL driver. They Key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\Wow6432Node\ODBC contains every other driver which usually shows up (including the Oracle driver).The dll path is wrong but thats only a minor problem. Worse, if i include the drivers in the SOFTWARE\ODBC key, they show up but they do not work.Is there something i can do or do i have to call the support?Windows 2008 32bit does doesn't have this problem, btw.
April 30th, 2008 1:32pm

Hello, As far as I know, Microsoft does not have a 64 bit version of the Microsoft ODBC Driver for Oracle. After some research, I find that Oracle might have a 64 bit ODBC Driver. You might refer to the following thread from Oracle forum: Does Oracle have a 64-bit ODBC Driver Therefore, I recommend you contact to Oracle support to confirm whether they have an ODBC driver for 64-bit OS. By the way, The Microsoft Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) Provider is deprecated in Windows Vista, and you are strongly encouraged to use one of the native OLE DB Providers instead. Native OLE DB Providers provide better application stability and performance. Moreover, native OLE DB Providers will be supported in the future, whereas MSDASQL will not have any new features added to it, will not be available on 64-bit, and will not be accessible from the OLE DB NET Data Provider. Thanks. Regards, Neo Zhu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 2nd, 2008 8:09am

Thank you, your answer was most helpful. Unfortunately, as the software we use install for their own software an ODBC driver, we can't just leave ODBC behind.But the link you posted provided the answer to my problem.If someone else has to access those "missing" drivers, make a copy of the ODBC tool in Administrative Tools, go to properties and replace system32 with SYSWOW64. The exe in that folder has the exact same name as the one in system32.
May 2nd, 2008 12:55pm

We face the same problem for Sybase ASE 15, which also is 64 bit. When we used ASE 12.5 (32 bit), we had no problem with the ODBC driver. Under ASE 15, we can "Add" a newSystem Data Source under theSystem-DSN, but that System Data Source will not retain any information except for theDSNname. Should the fix recommeded for Oracle users alsoapply for this Sybase issue?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 13th, 2008 11:54pm

Thanks very much mloeffler, great help.
May 15th, 2008 12:16pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics