Missing File Size Column in WS2K8!
WTF? I recently started using Windows Server 2008 and noticed that in file explorer there's apparently no "size" column anymore! Why in God's name would anyone take this away??? As if file explorer wasn't bad enough not showing folder sizes, let's take it away from files too now? Bizaare.... Are there any ways to get the size column restored? It doesn't appear when I use the "Choose details" dialogue by right-clicking a folder either. Looking inside the dialogue the "Size" detail just isn't there! Can someone explain what's going on? Gratefully, ROSS DCX3
April 11th, 2008 12:27am

That's beyond bizarre. Are you sure that you haven't suddenly developed cataracts or something? Size is one of the default columns and should definitely be present in the Choose Details dialogue. In my Choose Details dialogue, Size is the 4th item in the list.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 11th, 2008 12:51am

I've taken a screenshot (linked here if it's not visible to you in the body of this post); this is what I see when I try to find the size column on any folder in my Windows Server 2008 install. Bizaare is a very fogiving way of putting it! Although I can't display the whole list here, you can be assured that nowhere is there an option for "Size" or "Total Size" nor anything else with the word "size".Again I ask: what can cause this? How should I proceed???Help greatly appreciated - perhaps someone from Microsoft is reading???ROSSDCX3
April 11th, 2008 6:15am

Hello Ross, Yes, the size column should contained in the Windows Explorer by default. Could you please take a additional screenshot when you scroll down to the attributes that starts with S in the Choose detail dialog box? And is your Windows Server 2008 the RTM version? Please provide the version of the OS and Explorer.exe.
April 18th, 2008 1:08pm

Was there a resolution to this problem? I'm having the same issue on one of my Vista machines.Thanks for any help.
June 26th, 2008 9:53am

Yesterday an update was performed on Vista (service pack 2). Today I have the same problem -- no file size is listed in folders (they were there yesterday!) and it's not even listed in the choose detail dialog box.Thanks
July 24th, 2008 7:22pm

Hi,Same problem today with Vista...After some upgrade from windows update no more size column.regardsMPN
July 26th, 2008 1:04pm

Does any one know of a resolution to this problem? I'd like to get the document size listed in Windows explorer.Thanks, Valerie
July 26th, 2008 8:06pm

The answer was in the clues in this thread - I was scratching my head as to why both file size and attributes columns had gone/changed in Vista Explorer in the last couple of days as well. I spotted in Windows Update that Windows Search 4.0 for Windows Vista (KB940157) had installed itself in the right time period for this, so I uninstalled it and rebooted. Success! Everything is back as it was with file sizes in the column as before...I do wish updates would not take away functionality without warning or choice - this has wasted my evening trying to work it out and fix it!!RegardsRichard
July 31st, 2008 2:47am

Great job Richard, and thanks for sharing the solution. It was quite frustrating to lose file sizes.Take Care,T.
July 31st, 2008 2:51am

During theWindows Search 4.0 installation, it seems that your Property Schema Cache was not created correctly. Deleting the following registry value would be the ideal solution:HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertySchema\@CachedSchemaThis solution allows you to keep Windows Search 4.0
August 5th, 2008 10:35pm

Allen Kim - MSFT said: During theWindows Search 4.0 installation, it seems that your Property Schema Cache was not created correctly. Deleting the following registry value would be the ideal solution:HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertySchema\@CachedSchemaThis solution allows you to keep Windows Search 4.0 I had this exact same problem and deleting the registry key worked for me. I hadto kill the explorer.exe and restart it to get it to take though.
March 6th, 2009 10:56am

Allen Kim - MSFT said:During theWindows Search 4.0 installation, it seems that your Property Schema Cache was not created correctly. Deleting the following registry value would be the ideal solution:HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertySchema\@CachedSchemaHi Allen, your fix worked for me as well. Thanks a bunch.It seems that there must a lot of people are having this problem - I hope MSFT is doing something for those poor souls who don't know how to research or implement the fix. After all, it was installing MS updates and SP's that broke the display of file size info.--adam
March 16th, 2009 11:52am

This works for me too!!! But on my PC I could`t find following registry value: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertySchema\@CachedSchema with an `@` sign. Only without an `@` sign. I have deleted this value and logged out. After logged in everything works fine. Before loosing file size column I installed Windows Search and then SP2.
August 27th, 2009 5:27pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics