Missing Cryptographic services
Im using windows server 2003 enterprise. My problem when someone noted wscript.exe was missing and found that I could not instlall this due to the fact that cryptographic services wasnot running. When I listed the services it is actually missing. I cannot use windows update, delete programs from the control panel. I've tried reregestering the dll's and renaming the root2 directory, interesting enough it would not recognize the net command. thanks denny
September 12th, 2009 3:51pm

Hello,check out following articles:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958050http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555989/en-usBest regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 13th, 2009 12:11am

Hello denster1964, Besides Meinolfs suggestion, please also open services console to verify that the Cryptographic Services logon as the credentials of the "Network Service" account. If the issue still exists, please open a CMD prompt as Run As Administrator and type the following commands to see if it the system writer will be occure. CD c:\windows\system32 Takeown /f %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\* /a icacls %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\*.* /grant "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(RX)" icacls %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\*.* /grant "NT Service\trustedinstaller:(F)" icacls %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\*.* /grant "BUILTIN\Users:(RX)"Hope it helps.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
September 14th, 2009 11:54am

I actually found 2 trojan programs, they have been removed. will try. I have registered most of the dll's, will try again. Cryptographic services does not exits in the services. Also of interest, when I try the net command I get an error that it does not exist. denny
September 15th, 2009 3:26am

Hi denster1964, Based on my test, the Cryptographic Services should exist in Windows Server 2003 on my side. As you found 2 trojan, I would like suggest you perform a full scan of the system. Meanwhile, can you tell us what the detailed error message you can see? Thanks.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
September 15th, 2009 9:19am

the two trojans are win32.vb.iin, hupigon and spyware.cometcursor when I would first run the scripten to load wscript I would get this error: Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer windows update will give me: 0x8007f0da I've gone through all the solutions and nothing worked. I finally have all of the win32.vb.iin and hupigon removed and appears to be gone with spybot and symantec antivirus. cometcursor still popsup with the antivirus, I will see Iexplore.exe run in the background in task manager but usually goes away with a not responding warning. These are the file I manually removed. The file at "<$SYSDIR>\1sass.exe" . The file at "<$SYSDIR>\dllcache\basic.exe" . The file at "<$SYSDIR>\dllcache\clear.exe" . The file at "<$SYSDIR>\dllcache\delphi.exe" . The file at "<$SYSDIR>\iniquery.exe" . The file at "<$SYSDIR>\logf.exe" . The file at "<$SYSDIR>\spool\AccInfo.ini" . The file at "<$SYSDIR>\spool\CCProxy.ini" . The file at "<$SYSDIR>\spool\CDial.dll" . The file at "<$SYSDIR>\spool\svchost.exe" . The file at "<$SYSDIR>\spool\uuid.dll" . The file at "<$SYSDIR>\system.txt" . The file at "<$SYSDIR>\wins\AccInfo.ini" . The file at "<$SYSDIR>\wins\CCProxy.ini" . The file at "<$SYSDIR>\wins\CDial.dll" . The file at "<$SYSDIR>\wins\iniuser1.exe" . The file at "<$SYSDIR>\wins\Language\ChineseGB.chm" . The file at "<$SYSDIR>\wins\Language\English.chm" . The file at "<$SYSDIR>\wins\svchost.exe" . The file at "<$SYSDIR>\wins\uuid.dll" . The file at "<$SYSDIR>\wins\web\settings.htm" . The file at "<$WINDIR>\inf\iniftp.exe" . The file at "<$WINDIR>\inf\iniuser1.exe" . The file at "<$WINDIR>\inf\log.exe" . The file at "<$WINDIR>\inf\sql.exe" . The file at "<$WINDIR>\inf\svchost.exe" . The file at "<$WINDIR>\repair\1sass.exe" . The file at "<$WINDIR>\repair\iniuser1.exe" . The file at "<$WINDIR>\repair\sql.exe" . then folders, The directory at "<$SYSDIR>\spool\web" . The directory at "<$SYSDIR>\wins\Language" . The directory at "<$SYSDIR>\wins\web" now when I try to install the wscript I get: Windows cannot access the specified deveice, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access them. When I run Takeown /f %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\* /a in the system 32 directory, I get: ERROR: the system cannot find the path specified. It worries me that the Trojan used svchost.exe as one of its files. denny
September 15th, 2009 9:35pm

I've been searching solutions, could it be that there is no path in the HKLM/system/currentcontrolset/control/session manager/environment key?denny
September 16th, 2009 3:41pm

net.exe and net1.exe are missing.
September 16th, 2009 9:41pm

Hi denny,You can insert the Windows Server 2003 Enterprise installation disc in the CD-ROM and try running "SFC /SCANNOW" to fix the issue.Thanks.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
September 17th, 2009 12:27pm

Will do. I really appreciate your help. I have a dell that came with their own disks. I've ordered a new set when I realized I may need to do something like this. thanks denny
September 17th, 2009 1:49pm

I ran sfc /scannow. It went through just fine. no prompts or anything. still not working. anything else? denny
September 17th, 2009 8:27pm

Should I do a repair install? thanks, denny
September 20th, 2009 7:29pm

Hi denster1964, At this point, you may consider repair installing Windows Server 2003 to fix Cryptographic service. Please refer to: How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816579/en-us Hope this can fix the issue. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
September 21st, 2009 1:08pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics