Missing Boot MGR - Server 2003 R2 x64
Hello TechNet, One of my ProLiant web servers appears to have bit the dust. I'm getting a "Boot MGR Missing" message during startup. I've since found that there is no "Repair" option on the Server 2003 disc or Safe Mode option from POST. I cannot do anything except reseat the RAID controller cable, RAM, etc. That has yet to help. I performed a number of CHKDSK's, System File Check's (SFC's), and HP Insight Diags/Array Diags, but to no avail. Any thoughts for the quickest way to repair this boot manager? I know in 2008 R2 you can use the Bootrec commands. Are those available in 2003 R2? Thanks in advance. Josh
July 14th, 2011 4:26pm

Hi, In earlier versions of the Windows operating system that run on a basic input/output system (BIOS)-based computer, such as Windows XP, the boot process starts with the system BIOS. The BIOS determines the boot device, and then loads the first physical sector. This physical sector is named the master boot record (MBR). When Windows Vista or Windows 7 starts on a BIOS-based computer, the BIOS loads the MBR and then loads the boot sector. However, boot code loads the new Windows Boot Manager program (Bootmgr). So, I would like to confirm that install operating systems in a dual-boot configuration? If so, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article to fix the issue. Windows no longer starts after you install an earlier version of the Windows operating system in a dual-boot configuration http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529 For more information, please also refer to the following Microsoft KB article: How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392 Regards, Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 14th, 2011 7:25pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics