Mirror one storage space to another with active failover?

I am looking to determine whether or not windows server 2012R2 storage spaces natively supports Mirroring of either one storage space to another or one disk created on Storage Space A to another disk created on Storage Space B.  The situation is we have a client using Datacore who has two P2000 SAN's.  The Datacore boxes are set up in a cluster like configuration and handle the storage layer all the virtual machine live on. Datacore is configured to mirror one SAN to the other and should allow for resources to function normally in the event one SAN dies.  They would like to move away from Datacore and use native windows server capabilities. The ideal scenario I am trying to achieve is converting the two Datacore boxes into scale out file servers, converting the SAN's to SAS JBOD's (Not sure if this is possible but lets assume it is), Creating two storage pools with one disk each (One storage pool then disk on top of storage pool per SAN, segregating disks per SAN) then serving the storage to the hyper-v servers and VMM through a continuously available SMB3 share.  I have done this in a lab network but i can't seem to figure out how to, or if its even possible to, provide the client with the same level of redundancy they are achieving now.  In order to do this I would need to then mirror one disk or storage pool (Or SAN) to the other disk or storage pool to protect against a single SAN failure. Is this achievable with storage spaces, and if it is in the event of a SAN (OR POOL/DISK) failure will the failover to the replication SAN (Or POOL/DISK) be automatic or manual.  Lastly if this is not achievable through storage spaces can it be coupled with another native feature like Hyper-V replica, or Storage replica (though it seems this is only available in server 2016).  Any guidance or recommendations would be great, I will continue digging to determine if i can convert the P2000's to SAS connected JBOD's. I would be happy to provide any follow up information as this is a rather complex scenario. Have a lot of clients using storage spaces with Scale out files servers but i haven't yet attempted to provide a client with JBOD redundancy. 

If my above ideal scenario is completely off the basic question is how can I provide the client uninterrupted service in the event that a JBOD/SAN goes down with native windows server 2012R2 features.

• Edited by Diggity747 Monday, July 20, 2015 9:05 PM
July 20th, 2015 5:26pm

I may have found part of the answer to my own question. Looks like you can create a enclosure aware disk in storage spaces as long as you use the following command switch -isenclosureaware $true:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj822937.aspx

New-VirtualDisk StoragePoolFriendlyName StoragePool FriendlyName VirtualDisk1 ResiliencySettingName Mirror ProvisioningType Fixed Size 10TB IsEnclosureAware $True

And meet the following requirements:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/11382.storage-spaces-frequently-asked-questions-faq.aspx#What_types_of_storage_arrays_can_I_use_with_Storage_Spaces

Enclosure Awareness Support - Tolerating an Entire Enclosure Failing

To support deployments that require an added level of fault tolerance, Storage Spaces supports associating each copy of data with a particular JBOD enclosure. This capability is known as enclosure awareness. With enclosure awareness, if one enclosure fails or goes offline, the data remains available in one or more alternate enclosures. 

To use enclosure awareness with Storage Spaces, your environment must meet the following requirements:

• JBOD storage enclosures must support SCSI Enclosure Services (SES).
  • Storage spaces must use the mirror resiliency type if you're using Windows Server 2012:
    • To tolerate one failed enclosure with two-way mirrors, you need three compatible storage enclosures.
    • To tolerate two failed enclosures with three-way mirrors, you need five compatible storage enclosures.

However as I only have two enclosures the question remains is my previously stated scenario possible in some way? Thanks hope this is helpful to someone.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 20th, 2015 9:09pm

Hi,

I'm still searching on this question and will update my reply soon. 

Edit: I noticed that you have already found the answer actually: To tolerate one failed enclosure with two-way mirrors, you need three compatible storage enclosures.

In your situation the requirement is not meet so you cannot use the enclosure awareness feature to do this job.

Maybe a hardware RAID could help. And if "failover" is not the main purpose. create a mirrored virtual disk in Storage Space can still help get redundancy.

July 21st, 2015 9:21pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics