Mirror failover question
I have 5 databases mirrored. If one fails I want them all to failover. I have a witness server. It is not setup right now to automatic failover. So in case the principle server goes down either the mirror or the witness server will need to execute the failover commands.  Is there a way on the witness server to determine the principle server is offline and run the failover scripts? I know you can do it from the mirror server but when you do it you break the mirror and would have to redo mirroring. The command on the Mirror server is
Alter Database <dbname> Set Partner Off
Go
Alter Database <dbname> With Reco		
February 9th, 2015 5:50am

What mode does the mirroring operate? Which version of SQL do you use?

Why do you want to break mirroring rather than a failover?

Alter Database <dbname> Set Partner Off is used to break mirror and not for failover.

Read this - https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189850.aspx#ManualFailover

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 9th, 2015 6:02am

I have 5 databases mirrored. If one fails I want them all to failover. I have a witness server. It is not setup right now to automatic failover. So in case the principle server goes down either the mirror or the witness server will need to execute the failover commands.  Is there a way on the witness server to determine the principle server is offline and run the failover scripts? I know you can do it from the mirror server but when you do it you break the mirror and would have to redo mirroring. The command on the Mirror server is
Alter Database <dbname> Set Partner Off
Go
Alter Database <dbname> With Reco		
February 9th, 2015 6:05am

Right now I can't use Automatic failover. But I need a way that will alert that the database is unavailable and send a notification from the WITNESS or MIRROR server.  I've seen where you set an alert but that is from the Principle server. I need a way to determine if the principle server is unavailable from the WITNESS or MIRROR server.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 9th, 2015 6:28am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics