Migration of SCOM agents from 2007 to 2012

Hi All,

I am working on migration from SCOM 2007 R2 to SCOM 2012 R2 for an environment comprising of 350+ agents.

Currently we have all the SCOM agents multihomed to report to two management groups of 2007 R2.

My requirement are as below : 

1. Upgrade the SCOM 2007 R2 agents to SCOM 2012 R2 agents with latest UR5 installed.
  2. The upgraded agent will now have 3 management groups. Two of old 2007 and one new 2012. I want it to retain only one old MG of SCOM 2007 and the new SCOM 2012 MG.
  3. Do a cache refresh.

My best bet would be to use SCCM for this. Any guidance for this are much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Prajul Nambiar 

March 23rd, 2015 2:43am

I imagine that there are several ways you can accomplish all of your desired outcomes, but here are some ideas.

1. Deploy your SCOM 2012 Agents to the group of 350+ endpoints, preferably in a phased approach. Your endpoints will now be multi-homed to 3 management groups
  2. you could proceed to remove agents from the management group that's to be dropped but for 350+ endpoints, you probably want to automate this. You don't want to uninstall in this case, but just multihome your agents to two management groups and remove from the second 2007 R2, I assume. Scripting this would be the best way to go. Check this out: http://blogs.technet.com/b/scom_atlas/archive/2013/11/22/removing-multiple-mgs-from-your-dual-triple-quad-homed-agents.aspx
  3. You can very easily flush the agent cache of all 350+ agents from your Operations Console. In SCOM 2012, click on Monitoring -> Operations Manager -> Agent Details --> Agent Health State --> Multi-select your agents under Agent State and click on the "Flush Health Service State and Cache" Health service task. 

I see no reason to use SCCM in any of these scenarios, but that's purely a matter of opinion.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 23rd, 2015 4:04am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics