Migration of Physical server having SQL server(SSMS) to Azure machine

Hi Folks,

We have a application which runs on a physical server and it has a SSMS which has a SQL server Agent which runs multiple jobs across the day. We also have linked servers connectivity with multiple servers. We want to move this physical server to Azure Box. I need challenges we gonna face moving this machine to AZURE. Can anyone of you provide a way to do this.

I have checked few things like creating images of Physical server using Virtual Machine Converter and the deploying it in AZURE.

I have seen single database deployment on AZURE, by exporting and importing the databases. Actually there are many databases to be exported.

Can anyone of you suggest me the best way to this migration.

Thanks in Advance.

-DSK :)

August 19th, 2015 7:59pm

Hi Datta,

According to your description, you need to migrate your SQL Server databases to SQL Server on an Azure VM, right?

There are many migration methods to migrate your SQL Server databases to SQL Server on an Azure VM:

• Use the Deploy a SQL Server Database to a Microsoft Azure VM wizard
  • Perform on-premises backup using compression and manually copy the backup file into the Azure virtual machine
  • Perform a backup to URL and restore into the Azure virtual machine from the URL
  • Detach and then copy the data and log files to Azure blob storage and then attach to SQL Server in Azure VM from URL
  • Convert on-premises physical machine to Hyper-V VHD, upload to Azure Blob storage, and then deploy as new VM using uploaded VHD
  • Ship hard drive using Windows Import/Export Service

Generally migration of the database files into the Azure VM using a compressed backup file is the best method. Here is a blog which briefly discuss various methods, recommend the best method for various scenarios, and include a tutorial to guide you through the use of the Deploy a SQL Server Database to a Microsoft Azure VM wizard.
https://azure.microsoft.com/zh-cn/documentation/articles/virtual-machines-migrate-onpremises-database/

Regards,

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 19th, 2015 10:07pm

I actually want to move the entire Physical server having SQL Sever databases to be moved to AZURE. This physical server has more than 8TB of data. Which will be the best method to move the server to AZURE.

August 27th, 2015 2:32am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics