Migration from Exchange Server 2007 (Server 2003) to Exchange 2013 (2012 R2)

Hello folks.

So, my organization has some issues. My primary focus is ramping up security, and one thing sticking out like a sore thumb is our legacy Windows 2003 Server x64 running Exchange 2007. Spiceworks has identified known threats probing this server on three separate instances in the past 4 weeks.

Our exchange server, again, is currently operating on Windows Server 2003 x64 SP2 with Exchange 2007.
The goal would ultimately be Windows 2012 R2 with Exchange 2013.

The specs of the server are as follows:
Supermicro / X7DB8
8 x Intel Pentium III Xeon
16GB RAM

I know that the migration process from Server 2003 is not exactly painless. I was considering purchasing a new SSD drive, placing the drive onto one of our unused workstations, doing a full install and configuration, performing a live test on the network during the weekend and then, upon success, swapping out with the primary drive on the server. I will obviously have the drivers on hand, but I am still wondering if there would be an easier way to go about doing this?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions or detailed links to the steps I can take for this migration? I have experience working with Server, but not so much when it comes to the Exchange end. The videos I have watched look pretty straight forward with the setup and Powershell procedures... just wanted to know if this would be something I could try or will we inevitably be better off forking out a massive chunk to acquire outside assistance?

August 26th, 2015 11:09am

I'd standup the new 2012 R2 server, patch it fully then migrate exchange over. They'll help you with the migration over here.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-us/home?forum=exchangesvrdeploy&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 26th, 2015 12:43pm

Thank you, I will ask around over there.
August 26th, 2015 1:04pm

I think you cannot do an in-place upgrade on an existing Exchange environment. As Dave suggested, you might want to just build a new machine with Windows Server 2012 R2 installed, instead of rebuilding current box, then migration your Exchange server to it.

These blog posts about Exchange 2007 to 2013 Migration might be helpful for you:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2013/07/25/part-1-step-by-step-exchange-2007-to-2013-migration.aspx

Regards,

Eth

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 27th, 2015 3:13am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics