Migrating everything from the old MG to the new 2012 R2 MG

The current prod is old, its been upgraded so many times it looks like swiss cheese. Its up to date and has CU 7, but still wonky and some problems . .we just cant solve.

I built out new SCOM 2012 R2 TEST and PROD environments with SQL 2014 in anticipation of vNext. These are also up to date with patches and CU 7.

Now, just to get all that stuff our predecessors built out, in to the new production environment without also inheriting mistakes and misconfiguration.

Im looking for some 10,000 view logic I might be missing about setting up the new PROD with MPs, Overrides, Groups, subscriptions, User roles etc etc.

Do we dual home groups of servers first and move them by team, architecture?

If we chose to move a group of servers, is there a way to ensure that we get all MPs, ORs, dependencies etc all at the same time?

Has anyone else been through this and have some insights and advice before we just start building our little hearts out?

THX in advance!

September 1st, 2015 11:55am

Hi

This I have always found to be the biggest challenge - "Now, just to get all that stuff our predecessors built out, in to the new production environment without also inheriting mistakes and misconfiguration."

It might be an opportunity to quite literally review all the management packs and rewrite them (ideally in visual studio) as part of the migration. A big challenge that could take many months ... but ultimately it "may" be worth it.

However, I'd suggest an alternative. Use the next 6 months to document what has been done and re-write those management packs. Then when SCOM vNext comes out, look to migrate (side by side) then. You can multi-home the agents to the current and new management groups and migrate MPs across by service. And it means doing one job at a time - reviewing MPs now and migrating later. Rather than trying to do both now and still be left with an upgrade next year.

There are a series of blogs here -http://www.systemcentercentral.com/scom-2012-rc-side-by-side-migration-phase-1-preparations/ - http://www.systemcentercentral.com/scom-2012-rc-side-by-side-migration-phase-4-importing-unsealed-management-packs/ - which look at some of the issues.

Regards

Graham

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 1st, 2015 12:35pm

Thx Graham for that exacting reply!

Those links are exactly the kind of logic we are looking for.

The sealed MPs aren't an issue. The OR's MP's that are tied to them would be. If we can't export\import  them, then I suppose I can use the MPViewer to better see what exactly was OR or the value changes. We will be rebuilding a lot of the OR's anyways as our predecessors had some funky naming conventions and ways to go about things.

"Rule of thumb: If you make any changes to unsealed Management Packs, make sure you do the same changes in the new environment."

Yes, and as we move over and observe functionality \ interoperability in the new environment, we will be removing the subscriptions in the old, and disabling MPs, removing agents etc.

We are at the beginning of the side by side and I see your key word = by service. By service you mean server role  \ MP . . . Lync 2013, Exchange, Citrix, SQL, etc?

We don't have many of the challenges listed in the articles. We can also remove a MG from servers with an add-in in our console.

Thanks again for your information, I'll be digging deep in that.

Cheers

TS

September 1st, 2015 2:11pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics