Migrating automatic approval rules between WSUS servers

I presently have an active central WSUS serverdownloading updates from Microsoft and this is where I have all my computer groups / approvals defined. I recently wanted to create a 'hot standby' server which had the same content should the main server every go offline for an extended period.

I am now migrating the computer groups / categories / approvals etc using commands as part of the "Update Services 3.0 API Samples and Tools.exe":

"C:\Program Files\Update Services 3.0 API Samples and Tools\WsusMigrate\WsusMigrationExport\WsusMigrationExport.exe WSUS-MAINWSUS01.xml"

which exports out all the groups and approvals in XML format. Then performing an import to the standby server:

"C:\Program Files\Update Services 3.0 API Samples and Tools\WsusMigrate\WsusMigrationImport\WsusMigrationImport.exe WSUS-MAINWSUS.xml All None"

and this works great - all approvals and groups being migrated weekly.

However I've noticed that the automatic approval rules aren't coming over. Is there a way to migrate these also?

I've seen references to powershell scripts that can possibly do this but am a newbie where Powershell is concerned.

May 20th, 2015 7:53am

Hi Nick,

>>I recently wanted to create a 'hot standby' server which had the same content should the main server every go offline for an extended period.

We can achieve your goal by configure the second WSUS server in replica mode. It's easier to manager the server.

For detailed information about the replica mode, please refer to the link below:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708511%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 21st, 2015 2:49am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics