Migrating Users and Groups from Windows 2000 server to Windows 2012 Standard.

(I asked this same question in the Migration Forum and they suggested I post it here, so here goes...)

OK...let me see if I can get this question out the way I need to....

I inherited a Windows 2000 Server that's on it's last legs.  We have a new server, a Windows 2013 Standard machine that we just recently purchased.  I need to migrate the users and groups over to the new server, but there are two things that are making it difficult:

•  The 2000 machine is NOT a Domain Controller
  • The 2000 machine is NOT running Active Directory

This is a file server that hangs onto another network of which I have no control of.  It has its' own IP address and there is NO WAY we can run Active Directory or make it a domain controller.

I have close to 300 users, groups, and printers to bring over to the new server.  Rather than kill myself doing manual input, is there any other way to do this? 

February 25th, 2015 4:16pm

You cannot move local accounts to AD with any tool.  You can create new accounts with the same name but you will have to manually adjust all permissions on all objects using SubInAcl  or just move all files and resources to the new system.

This is a task that will test how good of an Admin you really are.  You will have to think your way through each bit.

You can use the WinNt provider to dump the account names to a file.

You can also just upgrade in place the 2000 to a 2003 server then use this: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd379531%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 25th, 2015 4:39pm

You can also do this:

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/re-export-local-user-accounts.1434972/

February 25th, 2015 4:41pm

Thanks for the prompt reply.  Upgrading the 2k box to 2003 is not an option, since the motherboard is failing.  I have a brand new 2012 box but I need to get just the local users and groups off the old 2k box.

I already exported the users and groups to 2 .csv files.  I'd just like to find a way to import that via Powershell.

It should also be noted that this will be a file and print server.  I don't have the authority to upgrade it to a domain controller, since we are on the state government network.

February 25th, 2015 6:01pm

Look in repository for scripts that create local accounts. There are quite a few.

February 25th, 2015 6:35pm

Hi Tom,

In addition, To import users information from csv file and create bulk local users via powershell, please also refer to the script below:

$Users = Import-Csv C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\userImport\userTest.csv
$Users | % { 

# Setting data
$compname = "computername"
$computer = [ADSI]"WinNT://$compname"
$userGroup = [ADSI]"WinNT://$compname/Users,Group"

# Create user itself
$createUser = $computer.Create("User",$_.userid)

# Set password (print1!)
$createUser.SetPassword($_.password)
$createUser.SetInfo()

# Create extra data
$createUser.Description = "Import via powershell"
$createUser.FullName = $_.'full name'
$createUser.SetInfo()

# Set standard flags (Password expire / Password change / Account disabled)
$createUser.UserFlags = 64 + 65536 # ADS_UF_PASSWD_CANT_CHANGE + ADS_UF_DONT_EXPIRE_PASSWD
$createUser.SetInfo()

# Adduser to standard user group ("SERVER02\Users")
$userGroup.Add($createUser.Path)
}

Refer to:

Import users to local with powershell windows server 2008 r2

If there is anything else regarding this issue, please feel free to post back.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Best Regards,

Anna Wang

TechNet Community Support

February 28th, 2015 3:53pm

Hi Tom,

Im writing to just check in to see if the suggestions were helpful. If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Best Regards,

Anna Wang

March 5th, 2015 5:57am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics