Migrating AD objects without connectivity between source and target domains

OK so the scenario is there is no network connectivity between source and target domains, AD/DNS Servers are virtual on microsoft platform,

What are the options to migrate all active directory objects to new domain ?

Thanks in advance

June 24th, 2015 4:26pm

Hi,

Did you use the ADMT to do the migration, right?

Trust is a requirement for ADMT. Before the domain trust can be created both domains will need to be able to resolve each other via DNS. If you cant establish trust because of network issues, you can try an offline migration.
1. Create a DC from your source domain (add addition DC)
2. Move this DC to your target domain network
3. Transfer all FSMO roles and make it an independent domain/forest.  Make sure this network is isolated from Source domain network.
4. Create domain trust from this domain and migrate all users and groups

FYI..You cant migrate computer with this option. 

In order to migrate all ad objects to new domain, i suggest you could refer to ADMT step by step.

https://blog.thesysadmins.co.uk/admt-series-1-preparing-active-directory.html

Regards.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 25th, 2015 1:16am

Hello,

you have to use LDIFDE but it has limitations, see details in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/237677?wa=wsignin1.0

Or you check out Dell AD migration which is able to do migrations without trusts BUT there are also limits. For more details please see and contact http://software.dell.com/products/migration-manager-for-active-directory/

https://support.software.dell.com/de-de/migration-manager-for-ad/kb/faq

June 25th, 2015 5:16am

Well, if the target domain is completely new the easiest way is to use "Install From Media" (aka IFM) AD feature.

See also "Installing additional DC by using IFM"

June 25th, 2015 5:20am

Well, if the target domain is completely new the easiest way is to use "Install From Media" (aka IFM) AD feature.

See also "Installing additional DC by using IFM"

June 25th, 2015 7:31am

I thought he wanted to move domain.com to another location
June 25th, 2015 7:46am

Hi,

Thanks for the reply however I do not think ADMT is an option here as I said no connectivity between source and target datacenter so I can not perform step#2 as you have mentioned and ADMT can not export anything on USB drive or other drives, right ?

I will have no access to source DC, I can write a scripts and give it to them to copy data on USB..

June 25th, 2015 8:38pm

There will be no connectivity between source and target domain, all I will have is USB Drives,

not sure I can get that but copying VHDX file will help ?

June 25th, 2015 8:45pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply however I do not think ADMT is an option here as I said no connectivity between source and target datacenter so I can not perform step#2 as you have mentioned and ADMT can not export anything on USB drive or other drives, right ?

I will have no access to source DC, I can write a scripts and give it to them to copy data on USB..

Hello,

without access to the domain you can't do it.

June 26th, 2015 3:09am

There will be no connectivity between source and target domain, all I will have is USB Drives,

not sure I can get that but copying VHDX file will help ?

Hello,

copying a virtual machine from domain.com will NOT help you to built Newdomain.com

June 26th, 2015 3:10am

Thanks,

Copying VM as domain.com and built the same domain in new hyper-v , Isn't that possible ?

If not, then I think only option left is bare metal recovery and restore it in target domain ?

June 26th, 2015 5:05pm

I still am not understanding one thing:

Are you migrating from domain.com to newdomain.com or are you moving domain.com to another location/site?

June 26th, 2015 5:36pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics